Author Topic: Saskatoon sapling kid's bow  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Dauntless

Saskatoon sapling kid's bow
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:41:26 pm »
What does one do on vacation other than make bows?

Here is a kid's bow that came from a small saskatoon sapling (aka serviceberry or Amelanchier sp. ) that I saved from a kindling pile a year or two ago.  The sapwood rings are paper thin and a couple were cut through while removing the bark. The ragged back, the half dozen knots and several drying cracks forced a lower poundage design. My cousin's kids are growing up too so why not make a cool kids bow to teach a little archery.

It's 1¼" wide at the fades, 59" nock to nock with a 7" stiff handle. Weighs in at about 25lbs @ 26".  I forget how much deflex the stave started with, but it takes 2" of set after shooting

Both limbs have a little waviness that account for the odd looking full draw pic.  No hints of chrysals or splinters after some overdrawing and accidental dry firing.

Finished with tung oil, burnished heavily with glass.  Arrow rest and overlays are buckthorn, handle is wrapped with twisted sisal.

The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Bow Nut

Re: Saskatoon sapling kid's bow
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »
Very nice looking bow and the tiller looks good to.  A great way to get the youngins started out. 

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:54:44 pm »
Nice bow! well done on what appears to be a bit of a challenging stave, looks like there are some rollercoasters on that one, you handled them well tiller looks good ;D im sure the kid that gets it will love it!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »
very nice, love the pic looking down the belly. Makes ya see all the character. And you nailed the tiller :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:11:04 pm »
To be honest I tillered till it looked good when braced, sanded and then shot her in.  No tiller stick, no mirror. I saw the full draw when my dad emailed me these photos.

If it looks like a bow and the thickness taper is even, chances are the tiller is good too.  >:D  The quicker you get there, the quicker you have a bow. (Not that I don't have 50 unfinished bows lying around...)
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:53:46 am »
Great looking bow. Well done

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:31:04 am »
That is one cool kids bow...heck that is just a cool looking bow period.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...