Author Topic: goose feather fletching ?  (Read 2761 times)

grump

goose feather fletching ?
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:09 am »
I got a bunch of Canada Goose feathers to fletch some shoot arrows. is there a way to use them for both hen and cock like maybe shaping the cock fletch differently. I tried dying them but they don't dye well. Any suggestions?

Offline gstoneberg

Re: goose feather fletching ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:10:12 am »
I shoot all 3 feathers the same sometimes.  If you're making self nocks, mark the nock somehow to index the arrow.  There's no reason the cock feather has to be a different color.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:48:25 am »
unless you are shooting them w/ full height feathers, such as flu flu, you'll need to cut/burn them down.  leave the very end of the cock feather full length.  like a 1/4 inch of it closest to the point. 

i agree w/ gstone, though, most of my feathers are all the same. if i use store bought fletching i use all three pink.  other than that i use secondary chicken feathers and they all look the same.

i've pretty much stopped using plastic nocks, but sometimes i take a sharpy pen and mark my self nock on the index side.  'specially for big game hunting when the nerves are tight.  i got a buddy that puts his index feather on the top.  always gets me messed up when i shoot his equipment. 

bottom line...you'll get used to whatever you choose.  just keep playin' that string music daily.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:16:36 pm »
a dab of glue on one side of the nock, sprinkle sawdust on it for a rough texture and you can draw, nock, and shoot without having to look in the quiver
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 09:26:42 pm »
 Goose feathers are no good to shoot with. Just send them this way and I'll dispose of them properly ;D.......Use all 3 feathers the same, and use a Sharpie marker to mark the top edge of the cock feather.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2