Author Topic: pressure flaker size vs flake length  (Read 2452 times)

JustinNC

pressure flaker size vs flake length
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:44:51 am »
Ok so Ive primarily been concrentrating on some early stage bifaces lately, just kind of working at some of my rock, setting it aside when it gets a little tricky and then going again on a different piece.

Today I knocked off a piece of rootbeer that just asked to be shaped up and sling some flake scars across it and go. So that is what I set out to do. I filed my tip of my flaker down to pretty much just a point and had at it because of the thinness of the flake. I noticed my flakes were running well over the half way mark of a piece that was a little over 2" wide on a smooth surface. I ground a little extra at one point to strengthen it up and the flake over shot all the way to the other side leaving a parallel flake scar about 1/4" wide, all the way across the face of the point.

Ok back to my point, no pun intended, do you guys notice any difference, all other things equal, in flake length versus point size on the pressure flaker?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: pressure flaker size vs flake length
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:39 am »
Justin: When i get down to the final flaking and thinning on a point i'll constantly sharpen up my ishi and or flaker. I like to abrade a continuous platform just at or above center and really shoot those flakes across there. Just all depends on what your used to using. i'm still on the rubber hand pad. Going to start playing with a leather hand pad soon.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:33:07 pm »
I work in the Indian Museum at Yosemite National Park. Ideally they want me using all "abo" tools but Indian tools evolved with the times. I have a small Ishi stick that I made, I never file it I just turn it to the pointiest part of the tip.  I also like to set up good platforms. I find that better the platform the better the run.  I do hear about filing to a square tip from lots of folks but that is a luxury I do not have. Time and attention to detail also help. Good Luck.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »
I don't really notice as much change in the length of the flakes as I do the width of them.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:21:20 pm »
I only start pressure flaking at the end of making a point. I cant seem to get good length from pressure flaking so I use percussion until I am within a couple of passes to being done.  If I did a good job then the flakes run well. I noticed that the non heat treated like the rounded end of the pressure flaker.  But I am still new to this and as soon as if figure something out everything else changes.  It takes me a lot longer now to make points because I have to keep checking the point to make sure I am not breaking one of the rules in my head.   I think it has to do with surface area that comes in contact with the platform.  I am guessing that there are two issues related to flake scare.   One platform preparation and two surface contact of the pressure flaker there maybe a third and that would be placement and direction of force.  OK I guess that was 4 you could have five if you include praying to the gods.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:35:30 pm »
I use pointy ones, flat,wide ones and teeeyncie ones. Like Shannon, I'm just after wider or narrower flakes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:26 am »
I change it up all the time too. I think I just had excellent convexity on that piece I was working. I know one thing, I sure wish I could make some good bifaces now to go with my pressure flaking. Shannons instructions sure helped me 10000x over what I was doing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:07 am »
Justin could you post pictures of the flaking.  This is the area I need the most help with also.  I have only 2 sizes of pressure flake tools.  Maybe someone can post some pictures of a good setup.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:54:15 am »
I only have two as well. Ideally I would like to have 3. Not a necessary but saves me from filing sometimes. I have an Ishi and a "regular" one. Would like to have a really small one for touch up and retouch.

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
Everyone has pretty much said it. I would like to add that it depends on the strength of the stone I'm knapping . If it's a tough piece I like to use a point that is a little dull ( has strength).
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!