Author Topic: Paddle bows - tillering  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Paddle bows - tillering
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:28:41 pm »
I've seen a few post on here lately about Paddle bows so I thought I'd ask a question.  I have one I am currently working on, all taken down to profile (Sassafras w/ Rawhide backing) that been dried for plenty of time.  This morning I was starting to work on the thickness taper and have it down to what "looks" like a decent even taper from handle through the limbs and to the tips.  I attempted to do some floor tillering but because of the heavily reflexed tips and short length (42" ntn) I really couldn't get it to do much bending like I can with a "normal" longer bow.

Is there a different tillering method with these wide, short buggers or do I keep working down the thickness taper until I get it to start bending some or do I put it up on the tree with a long string so I can see if/where it is bending? 

I assume these are a bend through the handle to a degree and should be looking for that to start to happen before going to anything close to a short string, correct?

Many thanks folks!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Paddle bows - tillering
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:34:29 pm »
Lee my "Chub" hackberry bow is a type of paddle bow, not extreme though. The handle works on mine, is yours working or rigid?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »
right now it's rigid  ;D  It's Pit River (CA) replica layed out from the stats in the TBB1 p 176
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »
One more thing. IMHO, Skip that stinkin long string and remove wood evenly until the limbs flex nicley on the floor, then short brace it and finish tillering. You can look down the limb/your leg when you floor tiller and see glaring flat spots w/o every long stringing. Give it a try. Grab a bow you already have and flex the limb on the floor as if you were floor tillering and get your new bow feeling slightly stiffer before low bracing it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »
I've used the long string on reflexed bows but I tend to go to the short string pretty quickly. After you string it and start tillering keep in mind that reflexed bows show a high early draw weight so don't let that trick you into thining your bow is too heavy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »
Thanks for the assistance guys...won't need any further help on her.  Let's just say (as many, many, many folks pointed out) Sassafras doesn't make a very good bow wood, particularily on a 44" Pit river style.

Into the growing pile of "funny shaped kindling"....

:-[

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:39:01 am »
"After you string it and start tillering keep in mind that reflexed bows show a high early draw weight so don't let that trick you into thining your bow is too heavy. Jawge"

I would second that. It's better with shorter sinewed bows to tiller with some rough, like 60 grit or so sandpaper instead of anything that removes material faster. Shorter wide thin limb bows you pretty much have to use sandpaper. Or at least it's easier to get it tillered without removing to much and coming in under weight.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:49:48 am »
That sucks, kindling of any shape...better luck on the next one.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...