Author Topic: Cutting Wood In Summer  (Read 2195 times)

Offline woodsman

Cutting Wood In Summer
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »
I've read that you can make a good bow from green wood by roughing it out and clamping it down to dry. Would it work with wood cut at this time of year, or do you have to cut the wood in the fall/winter when the cambium has finished growing for the year? I'm obsessed with making bows and would like to try to make an ash flatbow if It's doable now. If not, I'll take a stab at a red oak board bow and wait on the ash until winter. I'll be shooting for something with a draw weight in the mid to upper 40's, that I can hunt whitetails with.

Offline cracker

Re: Cutting Wood In Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »
Now is the time to cut wood the bark peels easily seal the ends and back after splitting and debarking give time for the sealer to dry rough out a bow let that dry for a few weeks and you're ready to get down to business. Dries faster when roughed out to near bow dimensions. Less wood equals less drying time.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:40:47 pm »
Patrick and George there you go... We got to go cut some Juniper.. and mesquite and hackberry and red elm
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline woodsman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:18:11 pm »
That's what I wanted to hear Ron, thanks a lot.  ;D

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:28 pm »
As a rule, white woods get cut not.  Osage and Mullberry get cut in the fall.  My rule of thumb...  White woods after spring turkey til archery season and Osage from rifle season til turkey season.  Honestly thou I cut what I can when I can.  You just have more problems when you don't follow those rules.

Bill

Offline woodsman

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:18 pm »
Thanks for the advise chessieboy, much appreciated. Looks like I'm cutting some ash this weekend.