Author Topic: HOT WEATHER AND MEAT  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Blacktail

HOT WEATHER AND MEAT
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:58:21 pm »
o.k. the first bow season here in oregon can get pritty hot..i want to do some hunting in other parts of the state..so if you have any tips on keeping meat cool for a trip that would be great..even if the tips are from skinning and gutting that would be good..i know how to skin and gut deer BUT all the deer i have shot was in the later season cold and wet...so any info would be good..thanks john

Offline gstoneberg

Re: HOT WEATHER AND MEAT
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:19:03 am »
How far are you going to be from your vehicle?  We hog hunt into the summer down here and it's often over 100 degrees when we're hunting.  We try to get hogs quartered and on ice within an hour after shooting them.  If you can't do that it's really important to get the hide off right away and get the carcus in the shade.  The hide is incredible stuff and insulates like all get out.  If there's a stream you can sometimes get the meat cooled down by putting it in the water.  I take the easy route and always keep a cooler with ice handy.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:13:07 am »
We buy Dry Ice...and pack them down in 100 quart coolers ...then You have not Hours...but days to get your work done...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:48:55 am »
Black pepper on the wound holes will keep flys away. It sounds too simple, but it works.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:36:46 pm »
well it looks like i will have to pick up some extra ice chests and find out how much dry ice is..john

Offline Lemos

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:52:00 pm »
Head to Baskin and Robbins ice cream store they sell ice there for a fair price

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »
We buy Dry Ice...and pack them down in 100 quart coolers ...then You have not Hours...but days to get your work done...
It is almost always in the 90s or over 100 during bowhunt here so I gut and skin immediately, sometimes I even forget to take pictures because I am in a hurry. Then I do like Mike. Dry ice is not only colder, the lack of water as it melts helps to eliminate mildew or mold on the meat.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lemos

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:25:55 pm »
Baskin And Robbins sells it for 1.25 a pound Fred meyers has it also. Wrap the meat and put it at the bottom of the cooler with the ice on top and it should freeze it. If you put the ice on the bottom/meat on top you get freezing temps for about 4 inches above the ice and fridge temps above that. 5lbs is whats recommended for a 30 quart cooler and it should last 48 hours. By the way dry ice is 110 below frezzing if I rember so don't let the meat touch or it gets frost bite/freezer burn on a side note though touch the ice with a coin or some jewelery and it makes some neat noises.

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:52:51 pm »
Here in SC the season starts August 15 ( bows and guns ) and it has been over 95 every day this week so I know what you are talking about. We do the big cooler thing but have never tried dry ice. My old shop freezer has about 100 frozen two liter bottle and we use that. Get the hide off quick, cut into quarters and in the cooler.

If you ain't use to the hot weather hunting... bugs are a pain in the ass. Working the meat will be shared with bees wasps and ants. Consider that.

Lane

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 07:10:22 am »
Johnston is correct!  Yellow Jackets will tote you off while trying to clean anything! Ditto on the frozen coke bottles... ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:49 am »
Down here it's fire ants that will carry you off.  Nasty little buggers and they always find the hog before I do.  Have they made it up to So Carolina?  Yellow jackets are more of a threat getting in your open pop can.

I've not tried the frozen 2 liter bottles, I will do that.  Thanks.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 04:55:42 pm »
George I was hunting moose yesterday in the woods behind my house and when I couldn't find any I shot a few stumps ::) Anyhow I missed with one arrow(must be bent) and had to hunt for it, found it under a bush and juussst did manage to grab the nock over the briars. As I got clear and turned around I heard a moose thundering up the trail :o!
But I couldn't see him.
And when the noise stopped pain shot up my hand/arm and I dropped the arrow and went to swiping at the fireants that had thundered up my arm. Got 'em off, grabbed my arrow and knocked ants off of it as I made double time right into the big patch of 2 foot high poison oak. Would have charged ahead but for the hornets nest.

Glad moose are scarce in SC, yellow jackets would probably have done me in.

Lane

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:42:28 am »
John, I assume you're talking about elk hunting in the early season. You're best bet is to get the hide off fast, quarter the animal and bone the meat. Then get it hanging in a cool shady place while you figure out how pack the meat back to camp where your coolers are.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:58:53 pm »
After the Hurricanes of 2004 we have Ice Machines in every parking lot of every little store. A $1.75 will buy you 18# with a bag, or you can get 20# without one. I always carry 100 qt. coolers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?