Author Topic: Question about driving with a pretty bad coolant leak...  (Read 2086 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Question about driving with a pretty bad coolant leak...
« on: June 05, 2011, 05:38:29 pm »
I'm thinkin the radiator has a hole in it, as it's leaking on the opposite side than the overflow valve, and looks to be coming right out of the radiator, but at the same time is has been coming out of the overlfow valve I believe as well, I was thinking due to over heating as my fan will not come on and has been that way all winter, but it has been fine for the most part while it was so cold. It has started to over heat, I'm guessing because of a mixture of no fan and coolant leaking, (the coolant leaking is a new thing) it pours out as soon as I start pouring it in. (Does that indicate for sure it's leaking out of the radiator?) I was wondering if it would be safe to fill it up with water instead of coolant to drive down the block, and then fill it back up to come back, and just keep jugs of water in the car, if it starts to overheat pull over let it cool and fill it back up.  I just have to mail some staves so I was wondering exactly how dangerous this would be?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Question about driving with a pretty bad coolant leak...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 05:44:51 pm »
The only car engine I've ever personally ruined was because of a coolant leak.  I thought I could watch the guage and stop in time, but I was wrong.    It's your car, but I wouldn't do it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:01:35 pm »
well ifn ya want my professionl opinion
then that would be "no,i woudlnt drive if it is leaking."
especialy if its leaking out as fast as you say
if you do get it filled the water pump action will just force it out even faster.
it could be a hose(usualy a cheap and quick fix)
but i would fix it before driving it.
it doesnt take much heat exposure to most engines to cause severe if not catastrophic failures.
head gaskets,cracked heads,cracked blocks etc get expensive rather quik to repair.

you also need to figure out why the fan doesnt work

what kind of vehicle is it?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:11 pm »
It's a 1998 plymouth voyager van. I think the fan it's self is either shot or it's a sensor? One day last winter the fan just didn't stop after I turned off the car, it ran the battery down and everything. Thought it was the thermometer or whatever it is, so replaced it. But afterwards, the fan never came on. I hope it's a hose but it sure looks like it's leakin right out of the radiator.

"The only car engine I've ever personally ruined was because of a coolant leak.  I thought I could watch the guage and stop in time, but I was wrong.    It's your car, but I wouldn't do it."

Man that is scary. The leak just popped up recently. Would overheating cause a coolant leak or hole to pop up somewhere? I hate this van. I love it but I hate it. Seems like a never ending money pit. I swear I just want to drive the damn thing for a month without something serious going wrong with it making it undriveable.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:29:53 am »
yes overheating can cause a coolant leak to develop
especially if its a head gasket leak
when a head gasket leaks from the combustion chamber into the cooling system
you get combustion gasses and pressurein the cooling system
which is way too much for the system,most cooling system are desined for 16 psi or less
very possible it blew the radiator or a hose

as far as the fan staying on before,i would check and or replace the cooling fan relay
if that relay stuck the fan will run untill the battery goes dead
it is very possible thats what the original problem was and eventually it just quit working altogether
the other issues that you are now having are probably directly related to it
if you were closer i would say tht i would come and take a look,but i think your pretty far away from me  ;)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:52 am »
The engine I ruined was in a 63 Plymouth, back in 1973.  It was leaking out the front top radiator seam and what was a slow leak when I started a 33 mile drive to see my girlfriend blew out to gusher somewhere and the car  stopped at about mile 30 when the engine seized.  The seam had totally failed and dumped the coolant which was certainly straight water since it had been leaking and it was summertime.  Those old 318s were pretty dependable, but they won't run without coolant.  The last water leak I had was a couple years ago in my jeep cherokee when the water pump failed.  It caused the fan belt to come off which caused a quick overheat.  This broke the sending unit for the engine temp gauge.  Even after fixing the water pump the overheat lamp kept coming on.  I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat, another water pump and added a real water temp gauge before I thought to replace the temp sending unit and all has been well since.  I hate working on cars.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:35:37 am »
I hate working on cars.

George

me too, but it pays the bills and im getting to old to do anything else now  ;D

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 01:40:30 am »
Ifn it were a FORD, you wouldnt have such problems!  ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:44:33 am »

what do you think pays my bills  ;D

but its all i drive  ;)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:46:59 am »

Haha, here we go... ;D

me too, but it pays the bills and im getting to old to do anything else now  ;D

I'm in the same boat, only my field is computers and I'm gettin too old to be a geek anymore.  I certainly am leaving the car repairs to experts like yourself from here on.  In the jeep's case, it would have been cheaper (except the first place I took it to said it was a blown head gasket, which I was quite sure it wasn't).  Good mechanics are hard to find...don't quit just yet. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:25:26 pm »

but its all i drive  ;)

You wash and wax FORDs?? ;D  Thats a cool job,,,he he,har har,,, ;D ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline okydoky

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »
I agree with sailordad; replace the solid state fan relay below the air cleaner ducts, left side. You can get a good one from most parts stores...they try to sell you the cheapest one, but ask for a name brand.  At my shop, a radiator leak was almost always the gasket that seals the core to the tank...we didn't bother to repair; replace the radiator. Change the thermostat, because it has been "stressed", and is unreliable.  A Mopar one is better than aftermarket, which has about 86% failure rate. Fresh coolant, new hoses as needed,...yep, still cheaper than head gaskets. Oh, we were THE shop before "things" happened...I had cancer, then after surgery, closed shop, tornado in Joplin damaged it.  It's for sale at this time, cause  I retired!
Don't outsmart your common sense!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:38 pm »

but its all i drive  ;)

You wash and wax FORDs?? ;D  Thats a cool job,,,he he,har har,,, ;D ;D

hardly, i hold two FORD master certifications  ;).
3 years at a trade school to get my degree in autmotives(ya laugh all you want  ;) )
not to mention all the continuing education i MUST keep up on
i have been turning wrenches for over 20 years and am very very good at what i do
i like to think i forgot more about cars and light truck than most folks will ever know  ;)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 08:49:21 pm »
Just joking with you sailor  ;D   Ok if I send you a PM later tonight?  I need some guidance on my wifes '99  Crown Vic