Author Topic: About to get kicked. Thank you everyone, for your prayers.  (Read 7520 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: About to get kicked
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:43 pm »
  I hate to hear this JW, I'm thinking about you way down here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

HatchA

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »
Best of luck, John. 

Steve

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 02:15:35 pm »
Prayers from N.W. Florida  Brother,,,Stand strong
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 02:28:39 pm »
Prayers from Ontario, keep on going.
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 05:22:55 pm »
The last 12 years have been nothing but turmoil, one thing after another going south on me.  Marriage, mortgage, career, friends, and health all sorta went away.  The only constant was a dirty red dog that stayed by my side.  For some considerable stretches of those 12 years the only reason I kept going was because she was counting on me.  She had no bird dog in her, but learned that finding pheasants and grouse pleased me, and she did with gusto!  Sometimes as much as half a mile from me and the shotgun, she had such a drive to please me. 

Top of her class in the local American Kennel Club obedience classes Level I and II, and both times the only mixed breed in the class. Passed the intensive three day Therapy Dog testing on her first try, she thought the best thing in the world was a nursing home - captive audience she called it.  Meek as a lamb with children, intuitively understood extra calmness was necessary with special needs children. 

She was never excited when I came home from work, never once jumped up to greet me, acted as if she just didn't care.  But whenever someone had to watch her when I was out of town she would lay with her nose against the door she saw me last go.  It was not unusual for the dog that ate anything and everything to refuse all food until I returned.

On Friday, the third of June, I walked her into the vet clinic knowing only one of us was leaving.  Dr. Clark had fought all week trying to find us a reprieve, but he and I decided together that the pancreatitis would return in days of any treatment we tried.  The pain of this disease is excruciating, vets generally go straight to morphine within minutes of diagnosis.  Scully lay on the table as Dr Clark pushed the barbituate overdose into her vein.  Scully licked her lips twice and lay her head in my hand.  One of the very best things to ever happen in my life was over. 

Thank you for your prayers.  The brief posts on this thread mean the world to me.I am touched deeply.  Again, thank you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: About to get kicked. Thank you everyone, for your prayers.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 05:41:15 pm »
JW: I just recently had to have my little buddy put down. His race was run at only three years of age - still pains me to think about him. Pets are about as loyal as they come and always hurts when they go. All we have now are memories. They don't fill the void but do make me smile sometimes. Hopefully you won't dwell on the loss too long but reflect on the good times. Think I'm going to wait awhile before I try another pet..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
JW...I have a Back Yard full of Pets...Above and Below ground...and Photo Albums full of Memories...I feel for you man....but it will get easier...and maybe one day...who knows...you may find another to take another piece of your Heart...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

HatchA

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »
John, I'm truly sorry for your loss. 

Our 13 year old Golden Retriever, Poet, died on Thursday.  The words of a good friend of mine that, though simple, touched me deeply:

"the loss of a friend such as a dog cuts deep, grief is the price you pay for love"

Run free, Scully, run free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »
Sorry for your loss, John. I went through it 2 winters ago with our 15 year old shepherd/akita, Sister. She was a sweety but the time came. She was in my arms when she went.  :(    We still have Lucy Brown, our almost 8 year old choc lab and Lawrence our 23 year old black cat.  :o   I am surprised he's still here. I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 07:41:25 pm »
jw, i know how you feel
we had to put our family pet of 17 yrs down,2 yrs back
colt was hkis name,he was a black bombay cat(21lbs in his prime)

it does get easier with time
your in our thoughts  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »
 When I lost my last Lab,A friend told me that one day when I crossed over to the next life,My dogs would be waiting on the other side of that bridge glad to see me. Well there are three of them waiting and I am looking forward to seeing them and tossing a tennis ball 'till my arm hurts.  My condolences to you !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 07:43:29 pm »
Godspeed sir.

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I have a 70# boxer that doesn't understand why she isn't a lap dog....even though she still gets up in my lap when I am in "our" chair....and she sleeps!

She will be 10 years old in September.....and I dread "that day"....

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:14 pm »
JW,

I am sorry to hear about the chalanges you have been facing.  Sometimes life gets hard and then it gets harder!! You will continue to be in my prayers.  Remember to keep your chin up and when you feel lke you can not take anymore, reach out and call one of us.  I will PM you my number.  I know there are better happier days for you. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:30 am »
We will praise Him in the storm....Lifted up from here too.  Psalm 91:3
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Grunt

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 12:02:48 am »
Put a little tobacco on the earth and thank Grandfather for the twelve years you had together. A good dog is a gift.