Author Topic: Newbie in East Texas  (Read 4276 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: Newbie in East Texas
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:43 pm »
Thanks for the wonderful invite George, that's mighty nice of ya.
With gas prices going sky high I think summer vacation plans have been put on hold for now, I'll probably just stick close to the river here by the house. I don't even know if I'll make it to MOJAM this year or not? I hope so, but probably won't know until the week before if it's a possibility or not.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

HatchA

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:19:53 pm »
How much you paying for petrol (gas)?  Ours is about €1.53 a litre - about $2.16.  I think the American gallon is four litres so that's $8.65 an American gallon... :-\

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »
Hatch, that sucks!  ;DWho gets the North Sea oil?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

HatchA

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:55 pm »
Hatch, that sucks!  ;DWho gets the North Sea oil?

Ah a good few years ago, the "powers that be" saw fit to sign away any rights to the MASSIVE gas fields that are just off the Irish coast to the west.  I don't know off hand who got them but I know there's uproar at the moment due to piping plans and stuff like that.  Sorry for not researching before answering - my back's giving me Hell to the point I can't string two sentences together without it taking ten minutes and a LOT of spelling corrections  :'(  I'm off to bed for the rest of the day now at 17:25.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 04:45:49 pm »
Welcome Stretch, I live 4 miles from Whitehouse,and I hunt hogs whenever the season is open out at the Old Sabine Bottom WMA out of Lindale. I've been building these things a little over 12 years,and this equipment is  just about all I hunt with anymore. If you need any help bow making,or would like to hunt pigs with us sometimes,give me a holler.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 07:00:36 pm »
I wondered if you weren't pretty close to him Pete.  Hey, did you get any Tilapia with your bow this spring?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 12:01:28 am »
We've been once, as it's been way too windy,with averages from 15-30 MPH.We,my wife and I, got 7,but that's not much of a trip. The wind is going to have to lay down quite a bit before I'm going back.(With the ripples,or in some cases ,waves,you just cant see them).I have not forgotten you though.As soon as it gets down to less than 5-10 MPH,we'll give it a try. God Bless

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 03:28:13 am »
I'm glad you got a few.  I wasn't hinting at all, just curious.  It just hit me that I hadn't seen any success pictures.  I wonder if either Lavon or Ray Hubbard has tilapia?  Where I cut the osage I just posted about was very close to Ray Hubbard.  Anyway, I hope you and Stretch are able to get together,

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:53 pm »
Are Ray Hubbard and Lavon power plant lakes? If they are,they might have them. God Bless

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 01:16:35 am »
Anyway, I hope you and Stretch are able to get together,

We could have an E. Texas get together at my place.  I've got the shop space to handle a group, if I clean up that is.   :P ;D
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 01:26:52 am »
Great idea Stretch, I would come if the date worked.

Nope, both Lavon and Ray Hubbard are city water supply reservoirs with no power plant facilities.  Both are locally known as crappie lakes, but sadly I've never fished either one...yet.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stretch

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 01:46:40 am »
Great idea Stretch, I would come if the date worked.

Then we'll make the date work so you can.   :)  I'll have to look at my calendar and we'll toss around some potential dates.
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:12 pm »
Amen!!! Literal translation is "I am in."

I think..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:33 am »
Welcome to the family, Stretch. 

I've always been into strange and odd hobbies.  Most of them are made up of people that wouldn't show you the basics much less hard earned knowledge and expertise, but this primitive archery community is something else.  Everyone seems to be willing to share what they know, as well as sharing their tools and their wood stash!!!  The unspoken rule is that you just keep passing it along. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stretch

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 02:34:45 am »
Welcome to the family, Stretch. 

I've always been into strange and odd hobbies.  Most of them are made up of people that wouldn't show you the basics much less hard earned knowledge and expertise, but this primitive archery community is something else.  Everyone seems to be willing to share what they know, as well as sharing their tools and their wood stash!!!  The unspoken rule is that you just keep passing it along. 

Ya know, most woodworkers I've met are like that.  They like passing on their knowledge.  It doesn't surprise me that highly specialized woodworkers (bowyers) are the same way. 
Mark
Lindale, TX