Author Topic: String slaps wrist...?  (Read 4989 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: String slaps wrist...?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »
Tape a ruler on the back of your forearm so that it extends out over the back of your hand.  When you grip your bow and hold it up to shoot, you'll likely find that your hand is trying to turn the wrist out, but it hits the ruler.  Turn your wrist back in and adjust your grip to compensate.  That's how I was shown to get that wrist slap issue resolved.  A little bend in the elbow instead of trying to lock it out helps too.

All else fails, buy a compound crossbow with lazer sights, nitescope, and heat seeking crossbow bolts.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 04:44:29 pm »
My first real shooting lesson came from a fella who's folks were Iroquois, one Oneida, one Seneca.  I'd started shooting my own wood bows and was getting some serious bruising from slap.  He told me that he learned to shoot as a boy with his wrist cocked and his bicept muscle straight up - perpendicular to the ground.  It sorta hyperextends the forearm out of the way.  Not sure if this is any sort of a traditional approach but this was what he learned from his grandfather.  At first it felt very uncomfortable.  But no more slap even with bows strung lower than my fist height.  Now I can't shoot any other way and never wear an arm gaurd.  At this point if I put one on it's very uncomfortable.  Glad I got this style of shooting early on.
1’—>1’

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 05:02:54 pm »
Parnell, can you post a picture of your shooting technique?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 06:23:31 pm »
I've never lost a self bow to a FF string and it's all I use now-a-days. That will likely fix your problem.
Gordon

Offline snag

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 07:07:14 pm »
I'll give it a try Gordon. Thanks, David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 10:05:46 pm »
Your brace height is too low, snag. I start at fletch clearing distance and increase 3-5 twists until the problem goes away. My bows are braced at least 7 in from string to back of handle. I had to go higher with my last 2. IMHO, no need to change strings. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:17 pm »
For some reason I was thinking a selfbow had a lower brace height than a glass longbow. Wrong again!  I'll increase it to 7".  Thanks, David

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 11:06:21 pm »
Have you tried slapping it back David, maybe it will stop slapping you then ????? Some bows just need a little tough love....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 11:44:21 pm »
...as measured from back to string ...not  belly to string...as I said above...and do it slowly 3-5 twists at a time until the problem is solved. You may not have to go the full 7 inches.  Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 11:47:22 pm »
That is still much lower than a glass bow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Stonepoint

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 11:48:53 pm »
I agree with George take it slowly and keep checking. It should straighten out for you

Offline snag

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 02:49:01 am »
George, my glass bows are from 7 1/4" to 7 1/2". I got the osage bow up to 6 1/2" because I don't have a short enough string yet. It shot good and no bruising! Even broke a nock...haha

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 11:56:24 am »
So that is good, Snag. Selfbows should be shot at the lowest brace height at which good arrow flight is achieved. Again I measure from string to BACK of handle. I'm not sure we are in sync on that. I don't own a glass longbow but my glass recurves are braced a good bit more than my selfies. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline snag

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
..."string to BACK of handle"...yes sir, that's what I do also. I know some of the older glass recurves, like the Red Wing Hunter, liked bracing at around 8". But I'll continue to shoot this osage bow at 6" for awhile and see how it does. Thanks, David