Author Topic: Chores or Bows?  (Read 7469 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Chores or Bows?
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:34:59 pm »
Easy answer.  The grass needs mowed, the garage needs cleaned.  So I spent the last three days working up some "scrapwood" that has been laying in the driveway all winter.  Before that it was laying outside, uncovered at my buddy's place.  Not all of it, the hickory was a half split from a small log my friend cut for a hatchet bow contest.  I buzzed it up and heat-straightened it.

Anyway, I now have some blanks and staves from 50" to 64".  The one I'm holding is real nice, and the bow blank to the left is a floor tillered 58" pyramid bow with a little bump for a handle.  I chased rings on something like six of these so far.  Its easier to do after you cut them to near dimensions.

http://groups.msn.com/LenniesBowPage/staves.msnw?Page=1

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Chores or Bows?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:45:02 pm »
Lennie, You can do chores anytime. An artist must work when the urges come. As far as I'm concerned, its a no brainer. ;D  If my memory serves me well, its been a while since we've seen a Tom Sawyer bow. You owe it to yourself to not deny yourself. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52:12 pm »
Of course now I need to wash the car.  But I did clean up the pile of sawdust and scraps tonight, the wife took a picture of me sweeping.  Like thats something unusual.

I haven't made much lately, these are the last two.  Did I show these?  The little BBO was most recent and its not quite done.  Tiller needs tweaked, and the bow finished.

I took the Asiatic composite to Cloverdale and shot the long distance target with it.  I missed the bullseye twice, hitting the bear in the hand and the ear.  Someone watching said which appendage I was going for next, so I said "snout" and proceeded to stick the snout.  They tried to get the guy to pay me $5 but he wouldn't, it was still worth it jsut for the show factor.  And heck yes it was a lucky shot, but the bow is quite powerful.

http://groups.msn.com/LenniesBowPage/abcwannabes.msnw
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:07:32 am »
Nice bows Lennie. The Asiatic bow is very cool. You mentioned that it had some hand shock. Would bridges for the string help reduce that?  I don't even know if they are appropriate for that style bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:23:00 am »
Nice to see ya posting some bows, I've wondered why you and Steve hadn't posted anything.
As to the chores their a necessary evil, I have 4 days off starting tommow after workin 11 straight
wifey is most likely making a honey do list at this very moment >:(

Oh yea I really like the bendy handle bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:05:13 am »
Being retired I don't have to make that choice now. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:36:05 am »
What style is that Pat?  hehe  I sort of made it up, going conservative on my first design.  I hadn't thought about it but maybe some leather pads would help a bit, especially if I raise the brace with another string.  I just figured it was the light weight of the bow and the high poundage.

The little BBO is a blank I made for a friend of a friend, who never worked on it.  It came back to me last winter, so I worked it up and plan to give it back to the fellow.  Its the first bendy handle BBO I tried.  Should make a good turkey bow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 11:48:02 am »
     I have actually gotten better about my chores since I started making bows, I can only relax and work guilt free if things are caught up. Of course my work area gets behind pretty bad but the key word in that sentence is "my work area" so nobody complains. Steve

jamie

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 11:49:25 am »
lenny the car pic is funnier than hell. even the kids laughed. peace

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:09:03 pm »
Bows every time,I have my wife do all the chores.Cool bows Lennie I seen it at the classic but didn't get to see you shoot it.Every day is Sat. for you ant it Jawge.Maybe someday for me
also. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 04:22:27 pm »
No chores in retirement?  I don't believe it.  Time for both, maybe.  And a little fishin'.

I stopped at the car wash on the way to work this morning.  One chore done.

Pappy I trust you but I'll have to verify that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mamba

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 06:03:04 pm »
Tom the Hun,that bow was awsome.
Ray/NY

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 06:37:29 am »
Yall are getting to know me to well,I could fool some of yall before you meet me and Joanie
now the truth is out. :D :D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good