Author Topic: My First Backstrap...  (Read 9306 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: My First Backstrap...
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 10:57:31 am »
Mmmmmm..........now you got me thinking about it. I've still got 4 halves of the tenderloin off the buck I shot last November. Been saving them for a rainy day, and it just so happens that it's raining outside today.

I just like em sliced into about 1/4" thick medallions, rolled in seasoned flour and fried. Course we eat everything fried here in Missouri, but that's the way I like it. Then I make a gravy out of the oil with the left over seasoned flour and milk or cream. Mashed potatoes and canned green beans from last year's garden, toss a pan of biscuits in the oven and I'm feasting like a King!
My mother also makes her own swiss steak recipe out of the steaks or a chunk of tenderloin that's so good it'll make you slap your grandma! Don't know what all she puts in it, but it's got home canned tomatoes, onions, but she breads it and sears it good in a skillet first before going in the oven. It doesn't matter what cut of meat or what part of the deer it came off of cause when it hits the plate you can cut it with a spoon.
Dang.........now I'm hungry! I better go get a package of backstraps out of the freezer.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 11:07:13 am »
Man, this is starting to get confusing. I call a backstrap and a loin the same thing. Just like El D, I was taught that the backstrap, or outer loin, comes from the outside of the animal along the spine just under the skin. The tenderloin, or inner loin, is located on the inside of the animal and is the most tender cut of meat on the animal.  A lot of folks seem to use these terms differently. The tenderloin is a lot smaller cut of meat and, on a deer, the most substantial part of it is along the spine, behind the rib cage near the rear legs. Here is a pic I found that  illustrates what I call the different cuts of meat.  #6 in the picture is the tenderloin and #7 is the backstrap. Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page here.

#6 we call sweet loins, and #7 is either backstraps or tenderloin. I'm sure it depends on which part of the country you grew up in. It's all good though!
During deer season when I get my deer, usually a doe first then hunt for a buck I will cut the sweet loins out and cube them up, bread in seasoned flour and fry em up for supper the same night. Fresh venison is like eating fresh fish, nun better!

Try this recipe if your not real fond of fried deer steak.
Put your deer steaks in a casserole dish that has a lid and cover with water, just enough to cover the meat. Add 1 pack of onion soup mix, liptons is best. Don't salt the meat or the water because the soup mix adds plenty of salt, but peppper if you like. Cook for about 1-1.5 hours at 350 deg. in the oven and keep checking it until the meat starts to get tender. Then add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and return the dish covered to the oven for another 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
You will be packaging more deer steaks off your deer next season after trying this simple recipe.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

JustinNC

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
Makes me wish I had more jar meat :(. And I think I have successfully unplugged every freezer that may have had frozen deer in it. Sad but true lol, I've got a bad habit of doing it unknowingly. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »
Man, if I wasn't cooking a pork butt roast right now I'd be digging out some Venison. :P ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

HatchA

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »
Justin...  tell your wife I said she's to slap you!!!   How in the name of all that's juicy and tasty, did you manage to unplug a multiple of freezers?

You ain't allowed near any sockets/power outlets any more!!  ;D

JustinNC

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »
Hatch, two were before I was married. Dad had a spare deep freezer in the shed behind his shop and before it was wired he had a drop cord ran out to it. Well I needed a dropcord and saw one plugged in in the shop and running outside. Didn't think about what it went to, two weeks later...yuuuuck. Did that twice to that one. Did it once to my deep freezer here at the house. Thought it was the radio I had plugged in at the same outlet.