Author Topic: Carp skin for bow backing  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Carp skin for bow backing
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:23 pm »

Check out this big ol pig my brother shot friday night while we were out bowfishing on my lake! I thought it might make a cool bow backing so I skinned it out and froze the skins. Does anybody here have any experience with putting fish skins on a bow? Do I just salt it to dry it and then treat it as a snake skin or what?

Offline GooseGossett

Re: Carp skin for bow backing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:28:07 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12105.0.html  Been thinking about doing this with some gar from the flooded Arkansas...
1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:43:23 pm »
O my word, what a fish! :o  I'll bet just cutting through the scales to get that old girls hide off was a chore!!!  Looking forward to seeing some of that on a bow.  I've never tried fish skin but hope to.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:32:27 pm »
Ha yeah that thing was an armored tank! I'll post pics when i get it done but it will be awhile!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
John Scifres has used fish skins. I have also heard of fella's using northern pike skin, which would look super cool. Its seems catfish skin would almost act like rawhide?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rainman

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:42 am »
That appears to be a german carp not a grass carp.  You won't get as much contrast in the skin as you would with grass carp.  It will almost look like fishnet when you scale and dry the skin.  A lot of people think fishnet is pretty sexy though.

Offline rainman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:34 am »
Treat just like a snake as far as skinning.  Follow Timo's build along already posted.  My Bom entry last month has grass carp skin back.  I like it better than most snake skin.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
Yeah this is a common carp. Lots of em around here. Not sure if it will make a good bow backing or not! Pike, Now theres a good idea! if I can catch a few of those maybe we'll be in business 8)

Offline dbb

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »
Another fish you guys in the northern parts of USA should look into is the burbot (Lota lota).
The skin is really tough and can have beautiful marbled patterns in black,brown and golden tan colors.
They can be pretty big,i think record is over 20lbs.Easy to skin too ;D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...