Author Topic: How long before you should put finish on?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline snag

How long before you should put finish on?
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »
I have this osage LB that I have been shooting and checking the tiller on. It hasn't changed much at all over 50-60 arrows. Can I put a finish on it or should I shoot it some more? Thanks, David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How long before you should put finish on?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:27:08 pm »
I like to shoot about 150-200 shots before I finish mine, just to be sure I like the grip area, arrow pass and of course tiller. If you like everything about it, seal it up by all means!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:48:21 pm »
I must have gotten lucky on this one. I am busting nocks at 15 yds. Love the way it sits in the hand and shoots. I'll try and be patient and shoot it some more...haha
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:42:38 pm »
If you are satisfied with the bow and the weather has been dry go ahead and begin the finish work. If you use Tru-Oil and need to make adjustments later it is very easy to refinish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:58:17 pm »
I think so. I put the finish on after 2-3 doz shots. But I use a rope and pulley and exercise the stave 20-30 times between wood removal sessions. By the time I hit full draw the bow doesn't change tiller much. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!