Author Topic: flint needed  (Read 1866 times)

Offline seider

flint needed
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »
New to this game.  wondering were there is a good are around may texas to look for flint?  Any help is appreciated..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Tower

Re: flint needed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »
Plenty of rock within about an hours drive of you.I also know an amateur knapper in Brownwood if you don't like to knapp alone.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline seider

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:03:41 pm »
will have to get some rock together first. I work with the guy you are talking about i belive. Have the same last name? He is the one who has got me breaking all this rock and not getting much out of it.   

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »
No I was talking of someone else,but my brother works in Brownwood also and he tries to knapp. You will have to come by the house next time I'm back up there.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline seider

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »
I am going to try and make it to the weatherford knappin.  May just be there for the day but i will take any advice i can get.  i can get the shape and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch think but i get stuck there.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:58 pm »
Always remember center line, isolated platforms,thin the ends first center last. Hold your preform properly. Last but not least don't be scared to break it. Remember it's just a rock until it is finished.

Offline seider

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 03:40:30 pm »
Yes sir will give it a try. Trust me if you could see the floor of my control room i am not afraid to break em.  Your brother is the one i work with.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »
Hey guys Im in Stephenville.. PM me when you are in the area... I know a good knapper in Stephenville..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline elremolino

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:35:18 pm »
Seider--that is good advice Tower gave you. Listen to him; he is one good knapper. As far as the rock hunting goes, there may be some good rock down in the creeks and draws. Good luck, and I may see you in Weatherford, if I can get away.

Kinley

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 10:35:30 pm »
Criveraville- have you recently received any flint from your neighbor lately? Richland blue?

Offline seider

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 01:18:05 pm »
i will take advise and learn from it i am always up for learning from anyone. Thanks for the help it will come in handy.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:31:22 pm »
I have. A lot. Look at d pics under, went and got me some rock
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 05:44:38 pm »
I did find some chert in the creek that runs through Brownwood, not much though. If you could make it to the Brazos from the PK dam down theirs quite a bit.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.