Author Topic: need advice please  (Read 1825 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

need advice please
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:40:34 pm »
 I'm making a red oak holmgaard it is backed with silk i had it pretty much done when i noticed a crack in the limb i think it is where there was a grain run off. is there anything i can do.  right now the silk is holding it down, but when i put it on my tillering tree at full draw i can feel it with my fingernail. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: need advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:07 pm »
1) sinew/hide glue wrap
2) silk thread and superglue wrap
3) kevlar vest, face shield, and a cup - pull it until it blows

Those are my three choices.

With the work you have into it at this time I'd hate to see you lose it.  Good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:05 am »
 i was considering a sinew wrap bit i didnt know if it would hold it.  also could i use tight bond with it or does it have to be hide glue?
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline eflanders

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:12:21 am »
I had a laminated bow do this to me and I tried to save it using a serving thread w/TB3 glue wrap over the crack area.  As soon as I tried it out on the tiller board, I heard a pop.  I then just added it to the collection of lessons learned! ;) 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:30:01 am »
You need to choose straight grained boards. There are too many run outs on that board. You'll wrap one and another will go on you. Have you been to my site? The time spent choosing a straight grained board as per my directions on my site will save you time. If I don't find the board I want  I walk. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:25:31 am »
George's site has a great tutorial on picking your boards along with loads of other stuff.  Well worth your time. 

Sinew will work with other types of glues, but you will get your best results from hide glue.  If you don't want to invest in a half pound of hide glue, run to the local grocery store, find the Jello, and look for the Knox unflavored gelatin box.  That's A#1 finest grade hide glue, colorless, odorless, tasteless.  1 packet to a cup of cold water, let it dissolve for about half an hour, and warm just slightly in the microwave about 10 seconds at a time.  When it is a little more than body temp warm, it's just about right. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.