Author Topic: Primitive Solutions to Technical Problems.  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Badger

Primitive Solutions to Technical Problems.
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:48:05 pm »

What attracted me most to primitive archery was that it gave me the opportunity to create a pure and efficient weapon without the use of refined products. One of the first things to become apparent was that I had a lack of knowledge and experience allowing me to accomplish this in a timely fashion. Primitive man solved all these problems, the bows he built 10,000 years ago were every bit as good as the best bows we build today.
Most all the different cultures had their own twist or style on bows but they were all about equally effective. 
      They usually became very good at working with the materials they had access to prior to U.P.S. Trial and error most likely played the biggest roll and the fact that man was about the only creature that could pass down knowledge from one generation to the next lead to the perfecting of each design. The fact that man seems to be creative by nature and that successful men held higher status in their communities most likely led to developments of new designs which would need perfecting.
      In today’s world we build bows primarily as a hobby. We do this for a lot of different reasons but those of us who build wood bows do seem to hold the one thing in common that we like all natural materials, I think it makes us feel closer to the earth we came from. We also enjoy the primitive process of using our hands and eyes and ears to bring something to the finish line as opposed to computers and precision measuring devices.
     I can wake up at sunrise and go to work on my shaving horse and pass an entire day, anyone who thinks all I am thinking about is building bows has got it all wrong. I get lost in time while I work on bows, I imagine myself as a primitive man, and sometimes an old wise man and sometimes a very young man who may want to impress a very pretty young lady. Sometimes I think their may be a quarry that we have avoided for lack of an efficient weapon, you get the point I hope. The need to create the best weapon I can using primitive means seems to drive me.
      After a hard days work often mixed emotions come in, kind of anticlimactic in some ways. I feel proud that I successfully completed another weapon and will often congratulate myself that my finishing skills have gotten better or that the tiller is spot on but at the same time I feel just a wisp of disappointment that I hadn’t attained the level of performance that I know could be had with better skills and understanding.
     Nightfall comes and I settle into the present modern world I live in. I turn on the computer and I read about the work many of my predecessors have done and how they went about doing it. More often than not it may answer a few questions but inevitably create only more questions.  I research some of the mathematical formulas used to evaluate a bow and arrow and find ways I can apply them to my research. I can’t wait for the next generation to solve all these problems, I somehow feel driven to see what the final product will look like, it no longer is important who creates the final product, I just want to see what it looks like.
    Identifying the problems we are trying to solve is first on the list as there are many.
Why do bows break?
Why do they take set?
Why are some slow and some fast?
How slow is slow and how fast is fast?
  These are probably the basic questions we deal with and there are books after books written addressing these issues.  My logic is to try and discover techniques that can be incorporated into the process of building a bow that will address these problems as a matter of construction, simple things we can do during the building process that are results driven and will guide us to the final destination. For example the mass principle does not require a scale or any other math once understood, it simply requires monitoring the condition of the wood during the tillering process, and the results will be the same, even better. It addresses moisture, wood quality and design and simply using your eyes and hands will get you to the proper mass and design. Simply developing a deeper understanding of what you are working on is probably as primitive as you can get.

Offline markinengland

Re: Primitive Solutions to Technical Problems.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:44 pm »
A really nice post, from the heart. I wish I had something deep to add, but I don't. What you write explains very well why I have been fascinated by archery for most of my life, and why making bows and arrows and shooting them continues to thrill me. Something of beauty is created. Perhaps part of what is so interesting is that it is both simple and complex and that we can continue to be suprised.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »
This sounds like a stellar Preface to a short book on the nuts-n-bolts of making wooden bows!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:55:50 pm »
Steve, i like what you wrote it explains a lot and even helps to understand some of my own feelings and the reson for doing this.

however as i read your post i started imagining myself as a primitive man in relation to my bow building . what i envisioned was an overgrown bucktoothed barely clothed village idiot stumbling through the woods in search of the right path. i was running headlong into large trees ,tripping over bushes and getting clotheslined by low hanging limbs each time i tried something that didnt work. occasionally i would find the path open in front of me as a design worked or a short bow survived. eventually i stumbled into a wide open path , a primitive super highway if you will  the "bowyers parkway", designs started to work methods became more effecient ,the little native hotties were standing beside the path cheering me on.  ken

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:00:22 am »
I have to agree with Eric, Steve. You should at least let this be the start of an article in Primitive Archer. I'll be honest, after reading  the "Mass Principle " that you wrote in the BB4, I got bored. Sorry, ;), then after thinking about it, I was basically doing the same thing, but not weighing anything. I was just going by feel, and not overstressing wood, unless I was just pushing the limit to see what would happen.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:01:00 am »
ken did you see any crepe myrtle ?

Thanks Steve. Write that book ok?

Lane

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:06:16 am »
Great stuff!  Makes my head hurt a bit and causes my eyes to glaze but I read it all...been reading a lot of these type of "articles" and "discussions" from the likes of Comstock, TBB1-4 and anything that strikes an interest here on PA.  In truth, this post and ones like it are the reason I continue to hang out here and why it's my 1st choice for bow sites.  Bar none~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HatchA

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:16:45 am »
Steve...  Thank you.

Another Steve.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
Well I'm a newbie round here and in the bowyer's trade, but i hear you loud and clear.  I've been in love with wood and nature all my life, even if i haven't always been able to be near it.  I always thought making "bows-n-arrows" would be neat, but I figured it was just a childish fancy and me not wanting to grow up :P  Little did i know that when i was researching a Christmas gift idea for my son that i would stumble upon this whole world of "wood-o-philes"!   Yeah, that sounds weird!  Now I have a new addiction . .  er . .  hobby, that i can't seem to get enough of.   I, too, love being able to just zone out from the complicated fast paced world and "become one with the bow" if you'll allow a little cheese  ::)   I worked for 6 hours straight scraping down a bow on Saturday and it felt like an hour (in my head, my hands and forearms were quite another thing!).  If I'm not working on a bow, i'm thinking about what i'll be doing when i get home and the kids are all in bed.  Paper clips, popsicle sticks, just about everything absentmindedly ends up as a bow in your hands before too long.    Just the idea of being able to make something that is both beautiful and deadly is fascinating and thrilling.  So, in short, thank y'all for being here and sharing the kindred spirit of the bow!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:38 pm »
the idea of being able to make something that is both beautiful and deadly is fascinating and thrilling. 

Careful with your wording there!  Someone might think you were describing a *gasp* weapon! 

Badger, I feel much the same when the shavings are piling up around my feet.  There are times I look over at my old red dog lying in a bed of yellow shavings and see a glimmer of wolf behind her closed eyes.  Sometimes the 440 stainless blade in my hand becomes chert and the sounds of cars driving by in my canyon is but the sound of a herd of bison heading over the ridge.  I can even hear the chittering cry of a peevishly unhappy American Kestrel calling....wait a minute, that's Hendrix.  Hes's one of the BH Raptor Center birds, he lives with me.  Anyway, I know how you feel, Badger.  And I enjoy that feeling.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.