Author Topic: Ash Grain?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline DLH

Ash Grain?
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:16:58 am »
What do you think about this board?

White Ash

Offline half eye

Re: Ash Grain?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:25:07 am »
DLH
    I have used boards exactlly like the one pictured. It appears to be biased grain orientation and will make a really good bow. However you will be well served to back it. I make all my self bows from fully quartersawn (edge grain) and put 1/8" wooden backers on the biased grain. White ash makes very nice performing bows and to be honest, elm backed white ash is one of my personal favorites. Ash also makes very excellent backers too.    This is just one guy's opinion though, but I like it.
rich

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
DLH
    I have used boards exactlly like the one pictured. It appears to be biased grain orientation and will make a really good bow. However you will be well served to back it. I make all my self bows from fully quartersawn (edge grain) and put 1/8" wooden backers on the biased grain. White ash makes very nice performing bows and to be honest, elm backed white ash is one of my personal favorites. Ash also makes very excellent backers too.    This is just one guy's opinion though, but I like it.
rich

Rich, those 39-40 " shortbows in the topic was backed bows? I ve know U use quartersawn wood but haven't know theye are all backed. This is explain (partly) that fantastic bends on your bows.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:28:38 pm »
It's impossible to see what the grain is doing from just one view of the board. This face may show that the grain looks OK but it may be running off when viewed from the side.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »
It's ok if you can cut off the last foot where there is a lot of grain run out otherwise not the best board for a selfbow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »
Half eye do you quarter saw your own lumber?