Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

Two Questions
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:44 pm »
A while back I posted and asked if an unbacked 56" osage stave  could be made into a bow that would be drawn to 28".  Most replied that it wasn't that good of an idea, it would work better with a shorter draw.  I have a walnut board 7/8" thick, could I make siyahs from that? I am only going for 35-40 pounds.

Second question, I have a mulberry stave that was coated with Tite Bond to seal it.  How do I get it off the back, short of soaking it in the pond for two weeks.  Thanks for your time.  Bill

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:53 pm »
The Titebond will come off with some light scraping of a knife edge, cabinet scraper, or even some elbow grease and some sandpaper. 

There are a few bows on here that have had siyahs blended onto the limbs, but I can't help you with that, I've blown up every siyah attempt I have ever tried.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:11:10 am »
You can certainly add siyahs to a short osage stave to increase the draw length.  However, walnut is not very dense and is difficult to find with adequate grain orientation.  I would recommend some straight grained ash or maple.  Be sure to bevel the mating surface on the stave in order to increase your glue joint length.  Also, URAC is a cheap and incredibly strong glue for wood-to-wood applications and I would recommend it over TiteBond III.  However, TBIII will work with proper surface preparation and clamping. 

Quartersaw the siyahs so that the grain is oriented like those below, although they certainly aren't perfect.  It's a bow that started it out as a 66" recurve.  Well, one curve didn't want to be a curve and broke pretty severely when I was heating it.  So, I chopped it down to around 56" and added ash siyahs.  The overall length ended up being somewhere around 61-62" and drew a sweet 27" for my bow-loving-fool-of-a-brother-in-law.

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:54:49 am »
I was going to post some ideas, but wow 4est, that is the way to go.  I believe I have a couple short staves that've suddenly moved up in value. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:09:34 am »
Yeah baby!  Now that is a great example of what siyahs can look like. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:09 pm »
I was going to post some ideas, but wow 4est, that is the way to go.  I believe I have a couple short staves that've suddenly moved up in value. 

George
I gotta agree with George there, makes me rethink stave length requirements. :o
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:11:46 pm »
4est, if you ever decide to do a build along on this technique I would definitely follow along.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.