Author Topic: brain tan - rework  (Read 2733 times)

Stringman

brain tan - rework
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:52:18 am »
I just finished up a deer hide I pulled from the roadside a couple months back. Felt like it was goin good and then ended up with alot of stiff areas around the egdes. Also a few spots in the middle that I know came from too much sweat on my legs and humid conditions, but the edges is really what bothers me. NOw that it's finished (and before I smoke it,) can I resoak it and try for a better, softer finish? I don't have any more brain solution, but can eggs or somethin else be used? This is only my second season of brainin deer hides and want to try to get a little better job on the hides if I can.

Offline aaron

Re: brain tan - rework
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:32 pm »
you can definately resoak it- and eggs work fine. use a dozen + get local eggs if possible.scramble and mix with water. You can add a little fabric softener (unscented) too, just don't tell anyone. check the dry hide for signs of membrane or epidermis and scrape if nececary- wet scrape it after resoaking in eggs.
good luck
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Stringman

Brain tan - rework
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »
Thanks Aaron for the info. I feel pretty good about my original scraping job. Have you noticed one better than the other (brains vs eggs) for making the hide softer. My biggest struggle is right around the edge. Not sure if I'm letting it dry out too fast there or what.

HatchA

Re: Brain tan - rework
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:46:51 pm »
My biggest struggle is right around the edge. Not sure if I'm letting it dry out too fast there or what.

As it's thinner around the edges of the legs and belly than it would be around neck and rump - maybe it's drying quicker than the rest of it.  Is that where the stiff edges are?  Matt Richards (Deerskin to Bucksin) expresses the importance of "working the hide as it's drying" to break up the fibres, keeping it supple.  Perhaps you can afford to work the edges completely before the thicker areas dry out too much?  Good luck with your re-work and let us know how it goes.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:53:03 pm »
Oddly, the fringe areas are the thinnest, but last to dry! Not sure what is actually goin on here just know (from limited experience) that when I get to that point they start to dry quick and it is hard to keep the edges as soft as the rest of the hide. Any input would be appreciated...

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
good wringing might help, and as mentioned, work the areas that dry quickest the  most. I blot with a towel while wringing with a stick. the wringing is repeated several times with the hide being untwisted, rotated and retwisted. wet scraping can also remove some moisture.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:24:05 pm »
oh and as for brains vs eggs, i don't have much exp with eggs (one hide) but they seem to work equally.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA