Author Topic: Tree ID Please  (Read 5555 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Tree ID Please
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:50:25 am »
I'm almost 100% sure it is Cornus florida. So for the people who prefer common names: flowering dogwood.

The leaves are not like any persimmon. The bark and leaves are both way off for either green ash or beech. The position of the leaves on the stem are also very different from black gum (and also persimmon, for that matter).

The veins in the leaves, are well as the orientation of the leaves on the stem, are an exact match to the genus dogwood. The bark is a clear indicator for Cornus florida.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 11:40:17 am »
If it is infact Cornus florida then it should be in flower or at least have obvious flower buds and possibly the remains of last years fruit still attached. Flowering dogwood blooms before the leaves come out. It is just about in full bloom around here now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 01:30:00 pm »

The bark looks perisimon and flowering dogwood but the leaves and size of trunk look PERSIMMON.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 01:35:09 pm »
   After a second look it's differently persimmon. Although the bark also looks like flowering dogwood. The size of the trunk and big leaves are persimmon. Neither dogwoods leaves or trunk gets that big a size.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:35 pm »

the leaves and size of trunk look PERSIMMON.

The leaves do NOT look like persimmon. Take a careful look at those veins.

The size of the trunk and big leaves are persimmon. Neither dogwoods leaves or trunk gets that big a size.
There is no size reference in the pictures. How did you determine the size of the trunk/leaves?

If you do not know how to identify plants, please do not create more fuzz. Base your ID on facts, please.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »
I still think it is a Dogwood.
The limb in first photo....top or left.
It looks just like a Dogwood limb.

I think, Hillbilly61, lives farther south than I do.
The Dogwoods are just about bloomed out here.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 05:32:24 pm »
The branching doesn't look like dogwood to me. Usually there will be 5 branchlets coming from one junction(sympodial(sp) branching) and one of these will become the lead.  Also, the flower thing again...flowering dogwoods will have flowers before the leaves come out. They should be obvious at this time of year. I see no flowers at all on the limb or in the crown above.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 06:48:27 pm »
     I can look at the size of the trunk and see it's no where as small as a dogwood. Which rarely get bigger than 4 to 6 inchs across dogwood leaves are much smaller and closer together and not a pear shaped. At least in WV.
   PAT makes another point theres no flower buds in front of the leaves. Never to notest of the veins in either leafs.

Offline okie64

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 07:31:19 pm »
Either way it should make a good bow.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 09:02:21 pm »
Hillbilly61, take a fresh leaf from the tree. Gently tear it in half, across the veins. If you see small, white, latex 'fibres' between both leaf halves, at the veins, it must be a dogwood species. The Cornus genus is pretty unique in this: latex 'fibres' (for lack of a better word) running from leaf half to leaf half through the veins. They are really small though: be gentle when you pull the two halves apart and watch closely.

Could be an other species of dogwood, not Cornus florida? One that does not flower, or has yet to form buds? Or could it be an early specimen, which has already come to bloom several weeks ago? Just thinking out loud here.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:27:26 pm »
I live on river and there are dogwoods all around,what makes me think its a dogwood is the leaves,if you look close in your pictures,where they grow off the twig there are only two leaves,plus te bark is identical.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:35 am »
 I looked up persimmon and dogwood the bark looks alot like doogwood but the leaves are more opaque. This tree did not flower out. I live in south central alabama and most all the dogwoods are in bloom. The persimon has a diff. leaf pattern. Also no blooms.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 12:37:51 am »
well im no damn expert but i think its dogwood . DS is you last name Beckett