Author Topic: best way to straighten black walnt(pics added)  (Read 1542 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

best way to straighten black walnt(pics added)
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:50:18 pm »
I just split up some bw staves Ive had drying for about 2 years.  i got 2 down to about 2"wide x 2"thick one is the sap wood under the bark the other is a belly split all heart wood. but they both have a bad side to side bow to them i have never worked walnut before so i was wondering what the best way was.  i have straightend Osage using a heat gun would this be as easy on walnut?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:57:09 pm by wvbowhntr »
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline artcher1

Re: best way to straighten black walnt
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:35 am »
Much depends on how severe the lateral bends are and where they're located at. Walnut corrects very well with either type of heat. And hold corrections really well also.

For lateral bends, I like to get the bow to rough bow shape, limbs just barely bending, then correct.

If the corrections are, say, from handle to mid-limb, then I would use steam. A pryamid vs a rectangular design would make straightening easier. Pics sure would help...........Art

Offline wvbowhntr

Re: best way to straighten black walnt
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »
Thank you l will post pics when I get home from work this evening
  It lookslike the whole stave has a bend kind of like reflex but to the side

Offline wvbowhntr

Re: best way to straighten black walnt(pics added)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:57 pm »
just added the pics any advice would be great.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »
I'm more worried about those cracks than the little bend it has. That slight side to side bow can easily be corrected with either dry heat or steam. Get the stave to floortiller, and heat correct it.
I hope those are only end checks which will fall off in the final bow. But there appear to be quite some checks in the back as well, in the stave which has its bark removed.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:05:27 pm »
It would make straightening easier if you could land that bend in one of the fades or the center of the handle. Either way, get you bow bow rough shaped and go from there. If the bend lands in the riser section, rough shape that also to make the correction easier..........Art

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »
the one with the bark the cracks don't go far and the stave is over 6 ft.  the heartwood one only has the one crack running between growth rings i am going to chase a ring or two down from that.