Author Topic: Its been awhile  (Read 2079 times)

Offline KShip85

Its been awhile
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »
Hey all, its been a long time since I've been around, been keeping myself busy with a house remodel and as of late a two week old little girl.  Cut a bradford pear down today and am curious if anyone has an pics of bows they have made from it.  I've done some searching and I know there are people on both sides of the argument of whether or not it will work but I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with it and if so if they still have pics/specs of the bows they made from it.  It was a fairly good sized tree and I got several good looking logs out of it.  Whats everyone think?

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline RyanY

Re: Its been awhile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:58:36 pm »
Never made a bow from it but if its a fruit bearing tree I'm positive you can. It all depends on design. Keep it long and fairly wide and it'll work. For white wood bows I like a 66" bow with an 8" handle, 2" wide to mid limb tapering to 3/8" nocks, for a 50#@28" bow. Go longer or wider if these dimensions don't feel comfortable.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »
nice haul,they look good and knot free. I always like when someone builds a bow from aa less than popular wood. fruit trees always seem to rot from the inside before growing big enogh or are all twisted up.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:50 pm »
All the b-pear trees that are around here are very brittle wood, and don't last to long in ice and wind storms. Most start to  degrade after they get the size of a 5 gal bucket.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:03:34 am »
Never used pear but congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:16:16 am »
Bradford pears are true Pyrus(pears) and the wood is strong. The problem with Bradford pears is their structure is weak. Sharp limb angle allows for included bark and there is little actual wood where the limb attaches to the trunk. If you notice when they break the limb is stripped off of the trunk and not a broken limb.
  Get them off the ground and start the drying process. It won't take long for rot to set in this time of year and you won't know it until you try to build a bow!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Far East Archer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:38:08 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=11268.0

It seem to be quite nice bow, maybe it is a good wood?