Author Topic: bow length vs draw length  (Read 11471 times)

Offline Stingray45

Re: bow length vs draw length
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:36 pm »
With the way it is right now, you could probably stretch it to 26" at that current length with good tiller. You can sinew back it but that would still be tough to get all the way out to 30" but I'm sure it can be done. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »
Okay, I am trying again to at least post one picture.  How is it possible for a horse bow to draw so far?  Do static recurves also act like syahs?  Are they making levers out of the tips and change the form of the arc in the limbs?  If the pictures don't work, I am going to find my kids and bribe them into teaching me how to make this stuff work.  Thanks again

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »
One more try.  Sooner or later something has to work.  Too bad it doesn't work the way I think it should.

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »
It worked. Here are some more.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:15 pm »
composite bows can draw so far and be so short because they only use wood as a core...horn and sinew are much more elastic than wood alone.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 05:48:41 pm »
You've got a beautiful tiller on that thing. I'd just go ahead and sinew it- it's earned it. You'll get a nice little shooter and won't have to worry. Sinew is magic ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:56 pm »
Gorgeous tiller you have going. I agree on the sinew thing, its magic!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »
tiller look's great, look's like ya gonna have a great bow their, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 01:21:10 am »
Thanks everyone for your input, I have decided that I am going to leave her alone. The most I could get in the ends is not worth the chance. This is probably the hardest piece of hedge I ever put a tool to. The bow only weighs 16 oz. It is only about 5/8" in the fades.  Teaching myself to short draw this bow is amazinging with 26" arrows. I am going to sinew it and go from there.  Thanks again.

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:33 am »
Fantastic! we got to see some short full draw pics.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 01:47:44 am »
Here are a couple pics with draw at 24". I put sinew on the back tonight.  Now it is just a waiting game.  Hopefully I got the sinew down evenly so it won't change the tiller.  If it does I will try and deal with it. Thanks everyone for your input.