Author Topic: Red cedar  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Red cedar
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:50:31 am »
Will red cedar make arrows?  I have some very nice {furniture grade}  4x12s, I would consider buying a dowel cutter if it will work
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Red cedar
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:37:44 am »
Why not rip a few 1/2 inch square 'rods' and hand plane some to test before inventing in a doweler.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:59:15 pm »
at the very least you would have some shavings to nput in your dresser. :)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »
See why I hang around here? I should have thought of that!!   ::)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »
You talking about ERC or Western?
I have been making shafting out of the split cedar fencing I can get at the local lumber yard. Cut into square strips and handplaned round. planning takes me about 5 min tops. They have worked just fine for me. I will post a pic of some if you want.

Bevan R

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:20:12 pm »
Pics please!!  Its south Alabama red cedar,I had 3- 4"x12"x8'  slabs cut at a sawmill last year for a project,and only used half of it,its almost all solid red heartwood being is they had to use whole trees.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »
I will post them when I get home from work.

Bevan R

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »
Thanks

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »
I too have made decent arrows shafts out of fence posts.  The ones I used are western red cedar.  I've worked with ERC enough to guess that it would also make a nice shaft,  if the grain is straight enough.   Finding knot and swirl free ERC is difficult.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »
Rick, these are the shafts I was talking about. I am in the process of refinishing and refletching them. I made them about 15+ years ago. These are what are left.

Bevan R

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 01:14:26 am »
Thanks for the pic,im almost over my cold or flu or whatever it is,Ill try a few this weekend and post results.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:35:55 am »
I ripped down to some 1/2"x 1/2"  and tried hand planeing them,Im not sure I can get them down to where I need them without a dowler,,Anybody got plans for a homemade jig? I have a router and table,,Looked thru old post last night and couldnt find one.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 03:46:28 am »
Rick,
I will try to draw up and scan an example a friend of mine used to make his shafting.

Bevan R

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
Thanks,,This arrow making is throwing me!!  I guess ill get it soon or late!  I have some hardwood dowels im working on as well,,Im strugglling with feather fletching on those,,