Author Topic: So I made myself a website...  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
So I made myself a website...
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:50 am »
I've had a couple people suggest that I get a website going to post pictures of my traditional archery projects on.  I figured that's a pretty good idea, rather than having them scattered randomly over different forums, to have it all in one place.

So with a little guidance from my web-savvy girlfriend, I created this website last weekend.  I figured I'm getting space from my ISP for a website, I might as well use it!

I think that I have most of the bugs worked out now, but if anyone wants to check it out, I'd really appreciate your feedback, comments, suggestions or criticism.  I checked with PatB and he gave me the ok to share this, so here it is! Thanks for looking!  I will update it and add new projects as they're made.

http://members.shaw.ca/camsgoods/gallery.html

Offline osage outlaw

Re: So I made myself a website...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:01:07 am »
Looks good.  Maybe add some how-to's or build-a-longs.  Those are always interesting.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:03:19 am »
What did you create it with and what are you wanting to do with it? If you just want to direct people to it that's a good site, but if you are wanting to make it accessible and optimize it for search engines there are a few things you need to do. Looks good though, I like the color scheme you have going on.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:35:41 am »
Looking good I agree I think you should make a howto tab also
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:15:17 am »
Looks good.  But I would rather see the full picture instead of the name right through the middle of each picture.  Just a thought.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:25 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I hope to add some build-alongs at some point.  It was a suggestion from a photographer friend to put a logo on the picture to keep people from ripping them off and claiming them as their own.  Maybe I went overboard with it, I suppose it could be a little less invasive.

I didn't really create it with the intension of generating google hits, just wanted a place to refer people to when they asked to see my work.  But maybe that is something I should look into though.  Is there anything in particular that you think would help?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:28:33 pm »
Thats cool cam  I have it in my favorites ill keep an eye on it

Josh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:01:05 am by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »
Well since you're only planning on using it as a site to refer people to then I wouldn't worry about the search engine optimization to much. The only reason you would need that is if you planned on getting your site moved up on search engine lists for certain subjects, like self bows. It's a lot more complicated then this explanation, but basically if you have content on a page you want the content to match up with your keywords and page description. Here is an example

What you have right now looks like this

<html>
<head>

<title>Cam's Handmade Goods</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

What you need for web standards and code that will help search engine "robots" and "spiders"

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
   <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" />
   <meta name="description" content="Some info about the page content" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="some keywords exp., self bows, build along, osage orange, etc" />
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>My Website Name</title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

It's confusing as heck if you don't know what you're looking at and if it doesn't really matter to you, then it's probably not worth burning braincells learning it. This is one of the things I do for a living, that's why I was asking. Its hard for me to answer your question without knowing what you plan on doing with it  ;D if you don't really plan on using it for anything other than pointing people to it, to look at your stuff then Its a great site and I would just continue with what your doing. You might look into wordpress or blogger if you have a gmail account. Blogger is a free service and if you use gmail you may already have it set up, it does most of the grunt work for you, all you need to do is make your posts. Wordpress is similar but it is a bit more expansive in capabilities depending on how deep you want to get into it. One thing you can do though is to name your photos something relating to whats in the photo, like arrows would be arrowsRedFeathers.jpg or some such and also add an alternative tag inside of these things on your page alt="". All you would do is put alt="Port Orford Cedar arrows red fletching" that way when you move your arrow over them it shows the name and people who are blind or have some other disability can access your site.

Sorry for hitting this with an A bomb if all you wanted was a firecracker, but you asked :)
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:58:40 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that Michael.