Author Topic: Alibates National Monument  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Tower

Alibates National Monument
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:14 am »
Today I went to Alibates Park in north TX. For me it was like walking through a level of Dante's hell.. To see all that gorgeous rock and not able to Knapp it or take any home. I've seen a lot of flint outcrops but nothing as large as that one. If you ever have the oprotunity to visit do it. Those forefathers of the modern knapper went through a lot of hard work & sweat to mine that stone. Kinda makes me thankful is so easy to get good stone today. Found a few small pieces on the lake level might get something made from them. Not from the park. I'm going to hit a few old rock haunts later this week. Will post some pics of the haul.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

Re: Alibates National Monument
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:38 am »
It's a shame huh? Maybe a little black ops mission at night?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:11 am »
Should have said something before hand...thats where I live...well 12 miles from Alibates Flint Quarries and Monument or so... been all over them Canyons for the past 28 years
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:33:27 am »
Still up here. Staying in Canyon Tx. Going to Palo Duro today. I thought about a black ops, but it's not worth the risk. I think those park rangers would skin you alive if you were caught.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:33:18 pm »
Don't know about skinning you alive....but I do know that the Federal Fines are astronomical.....they fine you by the ounce of rock you are caught with...we had a turn a round hand come here from Montana one year....he was a lapidary fool.....and said he was going to get him some Alibates for jewelry.....I warned him.....well he got caught with a 5 foot pry bar...under a 300 pound boulder....rolling it towards his one ton truck bed ....fullof flint.... He's still in prison....and has like $20,000 in punitive damages and fines to still pay.....don't mess with a National Monument..... :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:40:36 pm »
i know how ya feel
seen a cliff of obsidion in yellowstone park
bout made me cry knwoing i couldnt even take a single piece home to knapp
and like Mike said,dont get caught the fines are HUGE
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 04:01:27 pm »
I wouldn't get it from a park like that, if that was the case Ida raided Morrow Mountain for some green gold a while back. Just fun to think about.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »
Tower....just to make ya feel better....most all of what you seen was so frost fractured....Its almost worthless....just ask all of them I gave the boxes of It to at the Classic...most ended up as rubble on the knapping pit floor....well what didn't  grow legs and walk off that is....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »
Yeah but I saw some ancient spalls that would do quite nicely. Saw numerous hammer stones and some quarry blanks.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:15:36 am »

Tower, when I was in Bognor Regis, in England, in 91, I was hoping I could find a piece of good flint.  The flower beds were full of it, at the motel, and the beach is covered with it, from hand size, to head size. :o  In fact the beach is flint, no sand, for the most part!  I was able to bring a few pieces home, and ended up giving most of it away.  Didn't have any info on knapping then.  It was anywhere from black in color to almost blue.  But excellent quallity!  Wish I had a barrel of it now! :(
Yeah, the feds don't have a sense of humor. :P  But I guess if it was allowed, there wouldn't be anything left to see. ;)

Wayne

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:50 am »

Tower, when I was in Bognor Regis, in England, in 91, I was hoping I could find a piece of good flint.  The flower beds were full of it, at the motel, and the beach is covered with it, from hand size, to head size. :o  In fact the beach is flint, no sand, for the most part!  I was able to bring a few pieces home, and ended up giving most of it away.  Didn't have any info on knapping then.  It was anywhere from black in color to almost blue.  But excellent quallity!  Wish I had a barrel of it now! :(
Yeah, the feds don't have a sense of humor. :P  But I guess if it was allowed, there wouldn't be anything left to see. ;)

Wayne

hmmm. I have kin folk that live in England...........Jonathan, think we could talk Wayne into packing a carry-on for us when he comes in this year?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:37 pm »

You buy my ticket, and pay the baggage, and I am on my way!   ;D  I just hate to get groped by some of Barney Frank's former page boys, at the air port, since I refuse to be scanned, by a machine, that can cause retinal, testicular, kidney, and other damage, as well as skin cancer, and the fact that the TSA refuses to release their test data on the safety of it, and too many qualified doctors, and scientists tell of the dangers of it, if I had to fly, I would opt for the groping, and the fact that those machines, are EXPENSIVE, and not anywhere as effective as dogs, which is what the Russians use, and the FBI at their headquarters, and in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and the fact that the dogs are only about four to five thousand, compared to hundreds of thousands, and can detect molecules of a multitude of chemicals, even with a cover scent like w-d40, or gas.  Just FYI. ;)  But if you have relatives in England, just invite them over, and ask them to mail their luggage over here, and load up on rock, and you will treat them to some real genuine bar b que, and catfish and hush puppies, which is much better than bangers, and beans, and fish n chips. ;) ;D
I can get expensive, but especially so over there, where things are expensive to begin with.  In fact, YOU should go visit them!  Where bouts are they located?  Make sure they take you to the lakes country. ;)

Wayne

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »
I'm not 100% sure, but if he was able to locate some rock he could probably mail it from the base pretty reasonably.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »

You buy my ticket, and pay the baggage, and I am on my way!   ;D  I just hate to get groped by some of Barney Frank's former page boys, at the air port, since I refuse to be scanned, by a machine, that can cause retinal, testicular, kidney, and other damage, as well as skin cancer, and the fact that the TSA refuses to release their test data on the safety of it, and too many qualified doctors, and scientists tell of the dangers of it, if I had to fly, I would opt for the groping, and the fact that those machines, are EXPENSIVE, and not anywhere as effective as dogs, which is what the Russians use, and the FBI at their headquarters, and in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and the fact that the dogs are only about four to five thousand, compared to hundreds of thousands, and can detect molecules of a multitude of chemicals, even with a cover scent like w-d40, or gas.  Just FYI. ;)  But if you have relatives in England, just invite them over, and ask them to mail their luggage over here, and load up on rock, and you will treat them to some real genuine bar b que, and catfish and hush puppies, which is much better than bangers, and beans, and fish n chips. ;) ;D
I can get expensive, but especially so over there, where things are expensive to begin with.  In fact, YOU should go visit them!  Where bouts are they located?  Make sure they take you to the lakes country. ;)

Wayne

Been there........didnt go to lakes country, but London, when I was in the 3rd grade, was my first introduction to the real freaks of the world. Those gothic bondage people that lead each other around by dog collars and leashes......and lesbians.....and not the hot ones like on the regular network TV in Europe too. I'd maybe go back to Austria, and Germany....and would like to see Italy, Spain, and Switzerland, but you can have England. The food my aunt cooks (english born and raised) is too healthy. Steamed this and steamed that with not a hint of deep fried or salt or butter. My uncle generally comes to the US about once a year. He's an American that just stayed in England after he retired from the USAF when he was stationed there. He probably wouldnt be interest in trading for real food haha. I would be interested in knowing how wide spread the stuff is and if he could find any.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 11:36:37 am »

Justin, I absolutely loved England.  The children were polite, with manners! :o  I was in Bognor Regis, which is a resort area, on the coast, not too far from London.  Yeah, there are still some freaky people, but nothing more than we have here.  As for food, I love the steak and kidney pie!  It's just that everything is so expensive.  Lots of history where ever you go.  Should pretty much be flint over most of England.  I have been to England, Italy, Austria, and East and West Germany.  Italy, and Austria are absolutely beautiful.  Germany is a very clean, and scenic country also.

Wayne