Author Topic: Finally. First Point. Rhyolite.  (Read 1733 times)

JustinNC

Finally. First Point. Rhyolite.
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:43:27 pm »
Ive stuck with my nasty ole rhyolite and trying to learn on it in combination with learning abo. Well after watching Patrick's videos and learning his indirect percussion technique, not even close to his level, I finally got a point beat out. A flake that dove deep on me and hinged kept me from thinning the tip like I wanted it to. I compensated  by leaving it a little thick on the opposite side and in turn, kind of fu-barred my edge. If you had looked at just one side before I shaped it up, it looked exactly like a Clovis on one side, by accident of course! I tried to stick true to North Carolina and the material by using a dogwood billet to bop a whitetail antler...and TRIED to make a Savannah River, but not sure exactly what the Savannahs have to have. Im just happy though. Entirely indirect percussion with the dogwood billet as a hammer to a whitetail billet the size of a quarter. I was pretty pleased with it being a piece from my debitage pile I had discounted.

Before I started shaping it while in "preform condition" it was around 6:1....now around 3.5:1, which after looking at a lot of rhyolite artifacts, I'm not too discouraged for it being my first.

Sorry for the less than ideal cell phone pics.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:55:34 pm by JustinNC »

Offline piper

Re: Finally. First Point. Rhyolite.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:01 pm »
  Justin.....Good Job....Wish I could that.......It would be nice to hold it and Look at it Saturday at the napping.If you come  bring it with you...Give us some man rock napping lesson's .Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:13:51 am »
Haha man rock lessons? The one side dove in on me and the other side has a big stack. With a side profile like that, it'll be perfect for slinging an atlatl dart around a tree like a curveball.

I lied earlier, I did use a hammerstone to heavily abraid some of the thinner edges.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:58:53 am »
Congrats Justin, looks like you're getting the hang of the ABO stuff.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »
It's coming together. I was doing alright for the most part. I was just scared to try and wack the stack off once I got to that point. I could have left it wider but it would have had a big concavity in it where that one big flake dove on me and rolled out, so I reduced it down to take the concavity out, thus making it look curved.

Had to take a break today, home owners association didnt like my mess of rock on the back porch and various rocks in various stages of spalling around the back yard....sooo I had to clean up  ::)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:39 pm »
that is one mean looking piece of rock. im having trouble keeping this stuff together. the cryolot i have loves to snap as soon as i get it to a decent ratio.

you done good.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »
That is some man rock there for sure Justin - holy cow! Once you get good at that anything else will just turn into a point by looking at it ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »
Thanks guys. Yeah that is some nasty stuff that I am revisiting since seeing Patrick's video. I had put that piece in a bucket of debitage but since fished that piece and several back out. I've got some much much better rhyolite than that but I'm saving it til I can do it justice.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:39:07 pm »
Awesome!  Looks better than my first!  (I used a pair of pliers to crunch off flakes around the edges of a flake... hahah)   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 12:14:25 am »
Thanks Patrick. Pliers? Felt like I as cheating enough as is by using your technique :D           

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:14:03 pm »
OK, I know it's lame, but I just measured...0.3in at the thickest....1.6"wide and 2.8in long......so that's what 5:1?...I'll take it for my first.