Author Topic: Hawk huntin Hogs  (Read 4685 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Hawk huntin Hogs
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
Just returned from Texas and hunting hogs with Rattlin Randy.... Randy is the foreman on the newell ranch and an amazing hunter and bowyer. He has taken hundreds of big game animals with primitive and traditional equipment from Alaska to the gulf coast and everywhere in between.A true conservationist and one of the foremost wildlife management experts concerning land stewardship and wildlife management in Texas. It was an honor to hunt with him and i look forward to many more adventures with him in the future.   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Hawk huntin Hogs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 01:22:06 pm »
sinew backed osage bow.. built by Jason Riffenburg  Randy's son. got one lung with a homemade arrow. tracked him down and Randy made a running shot at thirty yards in the neck. my eldest son Tyler also made a shot into the hog. THEY ARE the toughest creature I have ever hunted. by far. took five arrows to seal the deal. I made the last shot with a stone point on a horseweed shaft made by Randy. and finished the hog with a knife. talk about adrenaline.

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »
Staceys hog taken with DA BOW  made by Dana Montgomery osage bow. Tyler wounded this hog in the am.Stacey made a great stalk and finished the hog in the afternoon. lots of life left in the hog even after waiting for six hours to track. first shot was in the backstrap/ shoulder armor stopped penetration. 

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »
Huntin' hogs is a hoot . Sounds like you guys had a great time. (I hear there are plenty hog down there.)  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »
Congratulations on the piggies! It's not hard to get addicted hunting hogs with a bow. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:17:24 pm »
Yes I agree..it is very fun, great off season hunting and good eatin too

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:38:44 pm »
Huntin' hogs is a hoot . Sounds like you guys had a great time. (I hear there are plenty hog down there.)  '  Frank

Love the hog hunting, and there are tons of them down here.  Ours go nocturnal as soon as you kill one so the shooting in the dark gets tricky.  The recovery gets even trickier. :o  I use a rifle at night, usually I'm alone.  I have not taken one with the self bow yet, though I got a shot a few weeks ago and missed.. :'(

Looks like that was a real fun hunt.  Congrats.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:39:30 am »
looks like fun Hawk.Good to see some fun hunting in Texas.Tell the clan we all say hello.Lloyd

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:39:47 am »
Sounds like y'all had alot of fun.  Congratulations on the hogs.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 10:54:00 am »
Congrats on the hawgs .Sounds like y'all had a good time . God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »
 Thanks brothers. yes we had a blast... those hogs are some of the toughest critters i have seen. one took five arrows .. all kill shots before it finally died. still fought with a te inch knife blade through the heart. Real warriors.

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:52:31 am »
They are indeed warriors,and one of my favorite hunts,when whitetail season ends. We hunt public lands in east Texas,and it's all spot and stalk. Y'all did real good,with great pictures as always. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 02:11:21 am »
they are tough.  mullet usually shoots them between the eyes and then jumps on them to save the arrow. :o  i prefer the frontal shot.  you have to slide the broadhead down the lower jawbone and into the heart/lungs.  they usually run for 20 yards or so before falling over dead.  wouldn't you agree mullet? ::)  but to really put them down with one shot, keep it low and tight to the elbow.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:42:00 pm by Mechslasher »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy