Author Topic: Need flint  (Read 2308 times)

Offline shiraforge

Need flint
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »
Would like to try a hand at flint knapping.  I've tried a couple times years ago but am more serious about it now.  I'm a shop teacher at an alternative high school and would love to teach my kids to knap.  I have or can make all the necessary tools but need some rock.  I'm a blacksmith and a woodworker so I'd love to trade for some flint. 

Thanks,

Matthew Shirey

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Need flint
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:56 pm »
Man, I had a bunch of it I would of just gave to you if I had not tryed my hand at flint knapping, and turned my huge flint boulders to flint gravel.  :D I find a bunch of it at washed up creek beds usually when I am out looking for trees to cut to make bows out of. I found a big hunk that someone had chipped off a bunch to make something. Might of been some indian a ways ago. I would look around creek beds if I was you.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:46:46 pm »
If you have a flintknapping group near you, that's the best place to get some flint.

Most of us will share with you in person, but a lot of us don't have all that much and we put a premium on our "stash".  I'm not sure you would feel you are getting enough rock if you trade.

With that said, just let us know what you can trade.  Many of us would like to get our hands on high quality arrow shafts made from hardwoods, for example.

Ebay is a good place for flint or obsidian if you can't get it locally.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:48:40 pm »
Where are you located?  There may very well be some knapables nearby that you could pick up on your own.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

young indian12

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:13 pm »
Where are you located?  There may very well be some knapables nearby that you could pick up on your own.

Ever been to Flint Ridge? You can mine flint for 50 cents.

young indian12

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:14:44 pm »
sorry for not stating this, its 50 cents per pound.

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »
Let us know where you are at, & what you can trade. I down to about 1.5 tons of flint. All good stuff, some needs a little heat.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!