Author Topic: linen string help  (Read 1968 times)

Offline keef

linen string help
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:38 am »
Hi Folks...I wonder if you could help me?

I am needing to make a simple reverse twist linen string with a loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other

The bow draws 45lb . My linen is 25/3....How many strands should I use?

Any help greatly appreciated

Keith

Offline ErictheViking

Re: linen string help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:24:40 pm »
It all depends on the quality of the string. there is such a difference in linen quality that you have to to a breakage test for your string you have(record poundage it broke at, and do it 3 or 4 times to get an average) then make a string with as many strands as it takes to give it 4 times the weight of your bows poundage at your draw length. I am not an expert but from what I have read, and the 1 string I have made from my linen, this is what worked for me.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline avcase

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:40:26 pm »
What kind of linen is it?  If it is high quality Barbour's, then the breaking strength of each strand is as high as 15-18 lb and 12-14 strands should be plenty.

Be aware that linen is very sensitive to uneven tension on the strands.  One technique I like to do is to make up the string, wet it down, then put it under tension and let it dry.  This can help the strands settle in with respect to one another.
-Alan

Offline keef

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:06:51 pm »
 Thanks for your help guys...Yes its Barbours finest quality machine thread.

I have to make this string tonght as I'm needing it for tomorrow. I'll play it safe and go for 14 strands then

Cheers, and many thanks again!

Keith

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »
I have had great luck with that string and use it for flight shooting at the salt flats. The performance is superior to B50 by a long shot.

Here's a tip if you happen to be shooting in very low humidity.  Linen has an interesting property where it gains strength with moisture and will become very brittle when overly dry. Wax does not help. In fact, excessive wax tends to weaken the string and destroy performance.  When in dry conditions,  I periodically wipe down the string with a damp rag and pluck the string a couple times to shake out any excess moisture. The strength of the string will temporarily be restored until it gets overly dry again.
Alan