Author Topic: Need help building bow forms near Glen Rose, Texas  (Read 4985 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Need help building bow forms near Glen Rose, Texas
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:10:20 pm »
Hello all.  I have been reading about making bows for 5 years now, but have yet to finish one.  My first attempt was an oak board bow that broke on me..  Anyway, wanted to know if anyone was near Glen Rose, Texas?  Could use some help making forms for recurve bows.  Thanks in advance..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

Re: Need help building bow forms near Glen Rose, Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:14:42 pm »
I am willing to drive and maybe trade to get the chance to make some decent bow forms.. thanks
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »
Hey criveraville. I'm not that far away but hardly ever home ta boot. I've never put together a caul but do have some simple forms for steam bending recurves into the tips. Pretty self explanatory. It's a 2x6, cut in whatever curve ya want, attach a peice of banding material to the base, cut a notch for your clamp. Slide the tip of your bow down to the banding, clamp the banding to the bow, bend the wood to the form and clamp the whole thing down. I steam em for about 45 minutes prior..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:40:11 pm »
Thank you! We emailed Escher other a few months ago. I share the story about the Grizzly 3 phase band saw I got stuck with because I didn't know it was 3 phase.. Thanks a bunch for pics and info!!

criveravill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:09:54 pm »
Ahh yes. I remember now :). I have a big bandsaw with the same problem. Good luck with those forms. Ya know? It's not beyong the realm of possibilities that we may be able to hook up sometime. Just need to figure out who's where and when..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:29 pm »
Thank you! We emailed Escher other a few months ago. I share the story about the Grizzly 3 phase band saw I got stuck with because I didn't know it was 3 phase.. Thanks a bunch for pics and info!!

criveravill
I think you could switch over the motor to single phase and be good as gold.  I had a friend who used to do that years ago.

Offline xin

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
Criveraville, If you've not successfully made a bow, I would suggest you stay with the D bow or the American flatbow before trying recurves.  They, recurves, have a lot of inherent problems to deal with that the straight flatbow doesn't have.  I'm not saying you can't make a recurve or reflexed bow, just that it would be a lot more difficult and definitely frustrating.  It is not unusual to have several unsuccessful tries before you get one that doesn't break.  I got a shooter on my eighth try and some of my earlier efforts were on recurves.  However, my first success was on a straight edge flatbow.  Good luck and have fun.  It's a great hobby.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »
I agree with xin! Learn to see and achieve proper tiller first and a whole world of possibilities will open up for you. Without proper tillering skills your bows will be just bent sticks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:17 pm »
Sure Cowboy, just email me when you get time.. I finally traded that hunk of metal for a 19" Grizzly planer. Thanks Xin and Pat.. You are right. I just wanna be ready when I graduate to more difficult tillering..

criveraville