Author Topic: A linen backed red oak board  (Read 5767 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: A linen backed red oak board
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:59 am »
i was wondering, where did you get the linen to back it?
thanks,
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:48 am »
I charmed the linen off my mother who had bought it back in her hippy-ish days 30 odd years ago.  Its grey, fairly thin and not too pretty when I glue it to wood (not the linen's fault).  I've heard of guys getting linen canvas at art supply stores (most canvases are cotton these days though).  I've tried specialty fabric stores and didn't find anything 100% linen.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 02:40:53 am »
I charmed the linen off my mother who had bought it back in her hippy-ish days 30 odd years ago.  Its grey, fairly thin and not too pretty when I glue it to wood (not the linen's fault).  I've heard of guys getting linen canvas at art supply stores (most canvases are cotton these days though).  I've tried specialty fabric stores and didn't find anything 100% linen.
i bet any type will help to keep it from blowing up, i might try dyeing the linen first, i made some dye out of osage chips, maybe that will work

Offline aero86

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:00 am »
hey, i understand about being scrawny! lol. 

if your trying to get linen, definitely make sure it says linen.  other wise it will be cotton.  course you could use that as a backing as well.  since its just to keep it from raising splinters, not draw weight, it would be cheaper to use cotton canvas instead of linen, though, not as traditonal.. i think

i have heavy canvas, dont remember the weight, that i used as a backing.  works pretty good.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:03:33 am »
hey, i understand about being scrawny! lol. 

if your trying to get linen, definitely make sure it says linen.  other wise it will be cotton.  course you could use that as a backing as well.  since its just to keep it from raising splinters, not draw weight, it would be cheaper to use cotton canvas instead of linen, though, not as traditonal.. i think

i have heavy canvas, dont remember the weight, that i used as a backing.  works pretty good.
now that i think about it i might have some canvas that would work, or i could back with hemp by pulling the hemp twine i have apart, i tried it before and it seemed to work

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 04:12:41 am »
Hey great bow you made there...tiller is outstanding...They should be very happy with the trade

Jon