Author Topic: just to vent.  (Read 2253 times)

Offline thomas h

just to vent.
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:09:45 pm »
if you have seen any of my  offers to trade  ,then you know  i have been heavily  after feathers and shafts. after a fair collection of such  i  offered to  start a trad archery class for the kids  age 6 -16 at church out of  almost 28kids only 4 will be  in a class seem the others that want too-  have parents that think this is wrong so the  church officers will  most  likely stop any class . now i wonder  how will future archers find there way to the bow if they are dis-couraged by there elders-- i along with most  of you  grew up with a stick and string , played robin hood and never tired of it.  i am saddened that  all my efforts have come to fail these young people .  i want to think each and everyone that  made a trade with  me . i feel blessed to be among such good knowledgeable  folk -------thomas h. :'(

Cacatch

Re: just to vent.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:03:20 pm »
Keep up the class, but do not affiliate it with the church. Let those who want to come, come.

CP

Offline thomas h

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »
good  idea i may just try that .

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
Well, I work full-time as a worship leader and youth pastor, I know full well that sometimes it is hard to get people to see the vision. Luckily here at my church in rural MO everyone hunts and fishes and are very active outdoorsmen (and women), I even have a "survival weekend" planned for August for jr. high boys for a weekend of building bows and arrows and just some survival outdoors stuff.
Don't lose hope, sometimes it takes a while to turn a big ship! Stay positive and just reach those you can for now.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:12:23 pm »
Contact the Christian Bowhunters of America (I think that's their name) for positive info about archery.
...or like CP said, start a class on your own. You may have the church coming to you to get more kids to church.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:21:34 pm »
I just thought of something though...what in the world could someone think is "wrong" with primitive archery? It really does say something about the mindset of some of our society. And it is terrible. Maybe they will come around once they see how many kids enjoy it and are better off for taking the class. Maybe  :-\

CP

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:51 pm »
It ain't just primitive archery. Some folks seem to be in an uproar against all weapons and all hunters and I don't believe they could tell you why.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:14:20 pm »
The only thing that makes a bow a weapon is intent. Same goes for a frying pan!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »
The only thing that makes a bow a weapon is intent. Same goes for a frying pan!  ;D

I couldn't agree with you more!!

Been fighting the urge to go on a killing spree using dessert spoons for years now, in an effort to point out that it's not the "item" that's dangerous...  it's the person that decides to use it for harm.

In Ireland, we tend to have "knee-jerk reactions" about things.  A few years ago, they decided knife-crime was too high so they banned the sale/purchase/import of "samurai swords" in Ireland - unless the sword in question pre-dates 1954, for some reason.  Realistically they should have banned the stainless steel shite that gets sold to idiots that don't know any better and leave us (semi) serious collectors with the option to commission a Japanese smith to craft a shinsakuto (new art sword).  I'd rather put bread on the smith's table, than a new Rolex for some fat antique dealer...

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:30 pm »
I would think the Irish would rise up if they ever try to ban the shillelagh. :D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:54 am »
I'm kind of surprised that your church has something against what you want to do. Did they say why? I mean they have archery in cub scouts or at least they did when I was young. I dont get it. Like Pat said just do it on your own.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline thomas h

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 12:23:37 pm »
the church will not take the  responsibility  of liability if someone should get  hurt 

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »
That's too bad Thomas, I was a youth leader for 2yrs and heard that a bit myself. The problem is in the summer they would have vbs(vacation bible study) with kids screaming around jumping off inflatable bouncy houses, playing tackle footbal (w/o padding or head gear) and other activities that COULD cause injury. I think the problem is, is that none of your elders, deacons or ruling body have any familiarity with archery. You should see if you can round as many of them up(the adults) and teach them about archery. Familiarity breeds confidence in an activity. just a thought.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:11 pm »
That's too bad.  The Baptist church I attend here in Texas hosts a cub scout den and they just came to me asking to show bows and help them make their arrows for badges.  Of course, down here hunting is a way of life and a large percentage are packing at any given time.  Our church also hosts a concealed carry class every quarter.    If we were in Dallas proper I suspect things might be different.  The area you're in makes a big difference.

Hope things change for you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline thomas h

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 04:09:36 pm »
good for you ,a church with out blind people on the board , i will not give up on this  i have some  help from  other members there. ;D