Author Topic: Soon to be mulberry molly  (Read 2549 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Soon to be mulberry molly
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:29:15 am »
Haven't posted nothing I've done in a loonngg time, so thought I would post some pics of what I got going on at the moment. Well I guess this is my "rich plagiarized" bow. Rich was immensely generous to send me one of his works of art, and it is from his work that this molly is basically copied from. My first molly. 56" tip to tip, all heartwood. I made it out of a scrap piece, screwed up the back and didn't feel like chasing a ring so I just winged it and rasped all the sapwood off with all care to the wind. I didn't totally decimate the back, well actually I did, :), but I am confident a good backing will keep er in one piece. (either sinew or nettle fiber, I got sinew ordered from the butcher shop at the moment but last time they screwed it up and cut the tendons only 4" long or so, ???). This is also my first time working mulberry and man did I get some low density mulberry. Very light, but still springy. This wood I have steam bends better than any wood I have ever had. After roughing out the bow when the wood was still very green, it warped into like a "L" shape at the handle. :) Whichj is what I deserve for not clamping it down. I steamed the wood at the handle for like 40 minutes and I swear it was made of play dough or something. Clamped it into place at first, and then just said screw it and used my hands to move er back to straight, super easy. Due to the condition of the back, I have to back the bow before I can tilller even a little bit, never did that before but have seen plenty guys do that on here. I am worried about the sinew pulling one limb up in reflex as it dries more then the other due to one limb being stronger then the other, so I will try to floor tiller best I can but am also worried about the bow breaking right at a knot or something before it's backed. Heres some pics to gander...

In the last pic you can see the crazy ring violation. Some of the lines that look like rings near the handle are stains from steaming, but it is decimated. I fully anticipate all recourse involving my abuse of a good stave, :):):)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:54:36 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Soon to be mulberry molly
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:01:37 am »
Good luck with that,I had a piece of B.Locust like that one time with about the same kind of knot and ring violation,that was years ago and it is still hanging in the rafters, :) Love to see how this
turns out.Keep us posted. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:03:25 am »
That big knot on the most bending area huh  :o
It will be a challenge shure! Good luck!
I would heat treat those skinny tips from side too. 

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:54 am »
Now that's a character bow!
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:57:47 am »
"Now that's a character bow!"

Hey hey, it's not a bow yet! :) In a week or so when I find out if the butcher "butchered" the sinew or not and I figure out what I'm gonna back it with ill post an update. Would of liked to do an post of nettle backing as you don't see alot about fiber backing bows.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:35:36 am »
You are on a rope and pulley I hope. Be careful Welcome back. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »
Yes, I agree with Jawge.  I made an unbacked mulberry bow with a knot like that and the end of the top limb stayed stuck in the ceiling tile of the archery club's indoor range for quite awhile after it blew up at full draw.  I'd back that one with sinew for sure.  How does the belly look under than knot?

George
St Paul, TX