Author Topic: has anybody used other woods to make bows, were successful & not in BB?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

???  I am curious to know if there is anyone on here that has made a great bow out of a wood that isn't in any text like the BB? ~ if yes, would you please share what kind of tree you got it from, how many #'s it pulls , the length from n2n and could you please post some pictures.? im curious to see whats out there...

this should be fun.  ;D    8)
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: has anybody used other woods to make bows, were successful & not in BB?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:06 pm »
Hmmm...that's a tough one.  I do have a kids bow I made from Sparkleberry.  It's nothing fancy:  just a stick with a string.  Does that count?  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:22 pm »
sure, why not? do you have the info on it? any pictures?
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:36 pm »
http://www.eastteak.com/products/finehardwoods/garapa_data.html          I made a 50lb@28"71oa 70ntn elb from this wood(backed with hard maple) no pics sorry I am a technoidiot. Maybe my wife can help me this weekend. Next I want to try their afromosia.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis