Author Topic: heat treatment  (Read 959 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
heat treatment
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:44 pm »
I have made a black locust bow and have shot it some. Can I heat treat it and try to put some reflex in it? It has not been sealed or finished out. After seeing PatBs locust bow I was wanting to heat treat this one.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline eflanders

Re: heat treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »
If it is a self-bow or one continuous piece of wood, yes.  Because of the high temperatures needed to properly temper the wood and/or form the wood, most glues will let go in a lamination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »
TJ, I was pleased with the tempering I did on the locust Eastern Woodland bow I made. Locust seems to show color quicker than whitewoods. Toast it to a chocolate brown(belly only) and leave it in the form over night and give it a few days to rehydrate before stressing it. As long as the set isn't too severe it should hold some reflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »
Thanks . The set is minimal and my plans are for mild reflex
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!