Author Topic: Sinew and Black Maple NEW FULL DRAW PICS  (Read 7278 times)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
Re: Sinew and Black Maple
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 01:09:20 pm »
last ones

Offline PatM

Re: Sinew and Black Maple
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 01:44:36 pm »
Nice bow. Black Maple is a species of Sugar or Rock Maple. Virtually identical in all ways. The bark tends to be blackish as if coated in soot. Hence the name.

Offline adb

Re: Sinew and Black Maple NEW FULL DRAW PICS
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »
Thanks, PatM. I'm unfamiliar with black maple.
Your full draw profile looks better hammertime. The top limb looks to me like it's bending more evenly. Good job. Hey, be careful shooting it outside when it's cold... the wood and sinew become more brittle. I'm always a bit uneasy shooting my wooden bows outside in winter.  ;)

Offline hammertime

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 01:55:41 pm »
Thanks Pat and adb I'll heed the warning about the cold tuff to find shooting time outside these days Hammertime

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 02:10:19 pm »
Nice bow.  You could probably get a couple more inches of draw out of it by getting the inner limbs working a bit more

Black Maple is a species that grows further south, as Pat says a subspecies of Sugar Maple
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline hammertime

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »
Thanks Marc ,yeah they could be working more ,I just tried to compare to other short flat bows I've seen,didn't want a work through the handle or taking set in the wrong place so I'm playing it safe(just me I guess)-it does shoot nice-Hammertime

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »
Hey, be careful shooting it outside when it's cold... the wood and sinew become more brittle. I'm always a bit uneasy shooting my wooden bows outside in winter.  ;)

I don't have any experience with sinew backed maple in cold weather, but I killed a deer with a sinew backed osage at -10 degrees.  The only thing I noticed was the draw weight came up a little as it got colder (and dryer).  I do worry about me becoming more brittle in the cold though.  ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline hammertime

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:54 pm »
Hey George I get more brittle in the cold as I get older to ;D Thanks for looking at my bow -Hammertime

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:57 pm »
Nice looking bow,good job.

Offline hammertime

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »
Thanks Swamp-good to here from you-Hammertime-forgot a few things tung oil finish,black rabbit "wraps"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »
Hey George I get more brittle in the cold as I get older to ;D Thanks for looking at my bow -Hammertime

Since moving to Texas I've become a terrible cold wimp. ::)  I do like that bow, it has nice lines and looks great against the snow.  I would have avoided the tip wraps trying to keep tip weight down, but now that I've seen it, I like it.  It should be bullet proof.  Nice work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline hammertime

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »
Thanks again George I know its a little whip ended but I do like how it shoots pretty sweet with no shock, fairly accurate at least out to 15 yds-Hammertime,

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:09 pm »
Very nice Sinew backed bow.  I really want to start one soon but I really really hate to process sinew.  Got a whole pile of it still in the tendon sheath in my workshop so kudos to you for getting it done.  Bookmarked for February BOM contest too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln