Author Topic: 48" Ottawa, elm backed maple (not for bom)  (Read 6412 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: 48" Ottawa, elm backed maple (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 07:22:19 am »
Forgot to ask, did you notice much difference in performance with the elm backing , compared to a self bow? and did you glue in any reflex?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline okie64

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:21:58 am »
That is a sweet lookin little bow. I really like the scalloped edges.

Offline half eye

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:11 am »
I made all three bows the same (elm backed hard maple) becuse that's what Warren said he wanted. I believe the red elm is more of a safety factor and allows the little bow to draw farther (without set) than if it was a self bow. However, all the power comes from the maple, in my opinion, so I guess I dont know how to answer you....it looks good, allows more draw but I believe the speed and cast comes from the Maple.

I usually do not glue in refelx to any of the Native American bows, so both the Ottawa and the pyramid were glued flat....of course the Mollegabet was made flat as well.

Ken, I'm slower than the molasses in January compared to you.....and I seriously believe ya build better bows too. We may make different kinds but I have some of your bows and they are first class in all respects.....proof is in the shootin, not the talkin and yours shoot as good as any I've ever owned.....thats just a fact.

Okie 64, thanks I like 'em too. But I think a vast majority of bows in the Great Lakes region were scalloped both by the Algonquian Language tribes but by the Iriquoixan tribes as well.
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 10:35:04 am »
Great bow!!! I'm a real fan of the short bows, gonna get started on one today, thanks for the inspiration.
Rockford, MI

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:09 am »
Great bow again. Looks fast. Love that small profile, bending handle, and stiff outer limbs. Ive noticed some similarities in the eastern style bows and the mollegabets too. Food for thought for sure.
Its only wood

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 04:05:49 pm »
Love the short NA bows. Have never done a laminate version but think I may give it a go now. I really enjoy making these types more than others.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 04:08:21 pm »
Great lookin little bow. Like to see more of the other two also. Great Job. ;D ;D
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.