Author Topic: Lemonwood for a bow?  (Read 12896 times)

Offline snag

Lemonwood for a bow?
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »
I understand lemonwood is a great wood for making bows. If I found a source for it in 2X4 form can it be used to make a selfbow?
Or because it is milled does it make it worthless for a selfbow? I guess it depends on how the grain runs in the board...?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Lemonwood for a bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:00:15 pm »
Lemonwood lumber should be fine as long as it doesn't have cracks.  The grain is very important also, like you said. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »
Lemonwood is supposed to be excellent-- if you have found a source, go for it. From what I understand of the wood, there is little or insignicant growth rings since it is a tropical wood and not subject to a yearly dormant stage. Therefore ring violation isn't a big issue. Unless your board was really screwed up when cut, you should be able to find a good bow or two in it.
Good luck.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 07:25:35 pm »
Didn't think about a growth ring not being an issue being it is growing year around!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:28:55 pm »
BE READY TO SHELL OUT A ARM AND A LEG TO GET IT    IF IT S REASONABLE GO  FOR IT  WHAT IV SEEN THE PRICE IS REDECLOUIS  BROCK

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:56:54 am »
It's a good wood and was used a lot in the past. I made one from lemonwood. I don't think I bothered with grain as I couldn't see any. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:47 am »
Lemonwood was used for bows extensively in the 30s and 40s because it was cheap and easily worked, just the ticket for a company cranking out thousands of bows a year. Since the trade embargo with Cuba the stuff is available only for South American companies with the tacked on global shipping cost making it not worth the money for what you get.

You can buy some mighty fine osage for the same money and have the best bow wood on the planet instead of a second string bow wood like lemonwood.   

Offline snag

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:56 am »
Eric, where would you buy osage?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 11:34:07 am »
There's two wood species called "lemonwood".

One is also called satinwood; it's from Sri Lanka and India. It's dull yellow with a medium texture and fairly heavy. Often has a nice, light figure to it. It's not very good for bows.
The other is the 'classic' lemonwood, also called degame; it's from Cuba and the Carribean area. It's very heavy, close grained and with fine texture. It's excellent in (backed) bows. It has been used extensively up to a few decades ago, when it became scarce and expensive.

Both wood species are expensive. Make sure to get the right 'lemonwood'.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 01:27:47 pm »
Dagame lemonwood is so tight grained and uniform you'll have a hard time finding the grain, its almost impossible to see how it was cut out of the tree, its a lovely wood to work with though.... I never saw a self bow out of it only lots of backed elbs...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:01:57 pm »
I have a real nice(old) piece of lemonwood James Parker gave me. Been contemplating what make do with it. 
   I have a few old lemonwood bows that are selfbows. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC