Author Topic: flight bows  (Read 2028 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
flight bows
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »
i was just curious, how would one go about making a flight bow, i am attracted to the excessive >:D, and some of the distances i have heard of are catching my attention. what wood wood yew use( sorry for the bad pun :D) and what length, the ones i have seen look pretty small.
thanks
noel
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:34:44 am by fishfinder401 »
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline avcase

Re: flight bows
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:27 am »
Noel,
Take a look at some of Marc St Louis's designs recently posted on here for good examples. There are many equipment and draw weight classes.  From 50# & under to unlimited bows held by the feet and drawn with both hands.  There are primitive classes and those that allow modern materials.  Right now, I'm working on some bows with a Tonkin cane bamboo back, Maple core, and Heat treated Tonkin cane belly designs that are about 56" nock-to-nock, and draw mid-80#'s.

The US Flight Nationals take place at the end of summer each year at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  This year, it is over the first weekend of September.  We have a pretty good time and it is worth looking into it if you like the more extreme side of archery.
-Alan

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:31 am »
I'll post some pictures of a flight bow I made a few weeks ago later on today
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:01 pm »
There is also a chapter on flight bows in one of the latter TBB.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:19 pm »
Noel,
Take a look at some of Marc St Louis's designs recently posted on here for good examples. There are many equipment and draw weight classes.  From 50# & under to unlimited bows held by the feet and drawn with both hands.  There are primitive classes and those that allow modern materials.  Right now, I'm working on some bows with a Tonkin cane bamboo back, Maple core, and Heat treated Tonkin cane belly designs that are about 56" nock-to-nock, and draw mid-80#'s.

The US Flight Nationals take place at the end of summer each year at the Bonneville Salt Flats.  This year, it is over the first weekend of September.  We have a pretty good time and it is worth looking into it if you like the more extreme side of archery.
-Alan
i looked at what he posted, and im intrigued, i hope i have time with my friend ms. bass comming back for  the spring ;D, i think shes also bringing dome friends. i wish i could go to that competition, but i don't want to think of how far a drive that would be
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what