Author Topic: Went wood hunting did pretty good  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Went wood hunting did pretty good
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »
Got Ash,Vine Maple, Cascara, Hazelnut, bunch of chery bark strips and Black Locust, After getting it into my shop/basement On the ground to the right of the wood rack Ash bottom to top on the rack Black locust, Yew, Vine Maple cascara and hazelnut, and top rack is Ocean Spray. All in all had a good trip and worked my buddys butts off lol Now it just needs to hurry up and dry ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Went wood hunting did pretty good
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »
good haul, congrats
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:32 pm »
looks like yew did great, haha do you get it ;D, but what is ocean spray?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:18 pm »
Its our local Iron wood do a search here and you will see at least one great bow if I remember right. John Strunk is the one who tuned me on to it and it is very strong in tension and compression great bow wood probably my  favorit besides Vine Maple.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:31:54 pm »
Elk,
     Looks like my wood stash, ya know that aint good .......bad to temp a junkie, eh? So many bows, so little time. ;D
rich

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:11 pm »
Score.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:41:26 pm »
Wow, super haul!  I'm envious...I spent a couple hours walking a wood lot near my house today and only located one tree that showed some potential.  It's still standing but if this snpw, sleet, freezing rain system lets up by tomorrow I am headed back with a chainsaw.  Just wish I could find some "pre-dried"  :-\

I worked a green ERC stave last week but paid the price.

Glad to see you scored some nice stuff.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »
Good for you ELktracker. That sounds like it was a very productive day. I Harvested One 55" section of an Osage and a12" diamter 10ft trunk from a super straight pecan yesterday. They were both real straight and none to little knots. It looks like that batch will net about 10 pecan staves and 4 matched sets of osage billets. now comes the fun part.... debarking. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how the pecan is for bow wood. I understand it is in the hickory family, so I assume it will be similar to work with.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:12 pm »
cool/ but josh watch out for BL- checks bad- i have heard you should rempve the sapwood before drying. one month to glass buttes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
That looks like a good haul. You did seal the ends? I don't think I've ever done more on BL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »
Ya I sealed the ends and I am going to just leave the bark on to let them dry and in the whole log so it will be a whille till its ready.

aaron Cant wait should be a great time, we are heading up the 18 through the 21, hope to see you there.