Author Topic: Blacktail's Lingcod/Mountain Mahogany  (Read 16496 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Blacktail's Lingcod/Mountain Mahogany
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 10:36:53 am »
Wow Keenan, that is a beautiful bow.  I really like the stats for it, also.  Very impressive and I really love seeing an alternative wood.  Tremendous!
1’—>1’

Offline aaron

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 12:24:29 pm »
AWESOME bow!
Mt Mahoghany (cercocarpus ) is a small tree/ bush that grows at higher elevations out west. The largest ones I have seen are about 8 inches in dia. I have seen it in eastern oregon, and all the way down to SW utah. I've made tool handles , foreshafts, and a boomerang out of it. Incredibly hard- s.g. is about  .90 . hard to find a big enough piece for a bow- i searched a grove near glass butte for hours and came up with a piece about 45 inches long with knots all over. never seen it in WA.
keenan where did you get the stave?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Keenan

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
Arron, Good for you, that is the info allot have asked about and you nailed it. Very hard very dense and the description is pin point.  I found this on on a friends ranch out between Post and Paulina.  It was an 8 inch tree that had some bends in it but were manageable.  I have a few other pieces with knots and one that is clear but very narrow. I will try to get another bow or two if possible.
  I kept scraping and scraping to get the poundage down and was blown away by how thin I had to go,  The limbs are just a over 1/2" thick at the fades, and just over 3/8" thick at mid limb.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »
Hey dude, you could have waited until February before posting  >:(
Del ;)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 07:40:32 pm »
Del, I haven't posted a full draw. ;D  and who says you wouldn't win even if I did.  ;)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 08:46:35 pm »
keenan it should be 2 weeks...i will have to make some time to come over so you can help me with a ruffed out peice of yew...john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »
John just give me a call and touch base. I might try to get Lulyn out of the house and take her over to the coast for a few days but not sure if this week or next. or when so just make sure we are hear.  Also what town are you in? maybe we will come that way befor you head over. Do you still have my number?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 10:50:35 pm »
it looks like the end of next week...i am out in the back woods between shady cove and white city...you guys just go a have fun...i will get ahold of you when we get moved in..BLESSINGS.john

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:59 am »
very nice bow Keenan, still waiting for the full draw pics. John, you must just be living right. now to go bag a turkey with it.