Author Topic: water stains when steaming/boiling  (Read 1553 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
water stains when steaming/boiling
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:26 pm »
I have trouble when inducing recurve by steam or boiling with water stains on the wood.  If i recurve early enough in the process I will usually "tiller away" the stains, but is there a trick to reducing water stains when recuring a mostly tillered bow?  Maybe pre-treating with oil before you boil?  Just checking to see if other folks have a way to deal with this. Thanks.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline NTD

Re: water stains when steaming/boiling
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:33 am »
Use RO water ??? 
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:27:18 am »
Seal the area with shellac before steaming/boiling. That will prevent the moisture from entering the wood causing the staining.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:33:50 pm »
right on, thanks Pat.  I was gonna try an oil, but a shellac is probably better.  Whatever it is will need to be sanded away before I put a finish on the bow. 
Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »
Gabe, shellac is cut with alcohol so a good wipedown with alcohol and a light sanding should be all you need before a finish is added. If you are not going to stain the wood any finish should go over the shellac with no problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC