Author Topic: Good things on the horizon...  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Good things on the horizon...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:40 am »
Great news,hope it all goes good for you. :) :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:29:13 pm »
That's encouraging to hear.  My wife and I had a rough run for the last couple of years as well, going through job and health issues.  I know what it feels like.  Lately, we are both bringing home the bread and it is a great thing.  I hope for the best for you, truly.
Best wishes.
1’—>1’

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:15 pm »
Good Luck in the new venture John! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Sean

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 08:32:31 pm »
Great news and hope all goes well for you.  Enjoy the adventure.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:18 pm »
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.  We submitted our counter-offer to the state of SD a few days ago and we'll know soon.  The work goes on for the contract dealing with the power company for monitoring cranes. 

Cranes and gravy?  Hmmm, might want that recipe!  Up here they call 'em Flying Ribeyes.  Sandhill populations are healthy in the central flyway and on the eastern flyway the population has risen such that they have considered a season on them.  When I think of the conservation victories we have won over the last 30 years I can't help but wonder how the anti's can continue their rantings.  But that is a subject for campfires and beverages of choice when all the world's problems can be solved simultaneously.

For those of you that live in Georgia and Arkansas, please keep your ears open for information on the whooping cranes that have been shot lately.  We need to police our ranks and get rid of these characters.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52:28 am »
 I just read in the paper that one was shot in Alabama and one in Georgia. They were on their way to Chassahowitzca/ Homasassa Refuge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:39 am »
Eddie:
As I understand it there is a $6000.00 reward for any info leading to the conviction of whoever shot the Whooping Crane here in Alabama.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »
I'd need the $6000 for my legal defense fund for what I'd do to the jerk.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »
I'd need the $6000 for my legal defense fund for what I'd do to the jerk.

I would classify it as 'Justifiable Homicide'. Hope they get them!

JW, are you saying they are thinking of a season for the Sandhills Crane?

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Grunt

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 09:32:05 pm »
J.W. hope things go well for you. Putting together something you really like and being rewarded for same is a balancing act. It ain't work brother. Good Luck.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 11:58:02 pm »

JW, are you saying they are thinking of a season for the Sandhills Crane?

Bevan

Tennessee or Kentucky was considering a sandhill crane season since the eastern flyway population had reached a point that cranes in migration were actually causing crop damage.  The anti's went into high gear and threatened to tie it all up in court saying that the entire population of whooping cranes would be shot by the end of the first weekend.  Apparently they didn't consider the central flyway hunting season on sandhills and how there have not been any whoopers caught in the crossfire since I can't remember when!!!  Never let facts get in the way of your emotions, silly folks! 

UPDATE:  We got the contract back from the folks at the SD GF&P.  Our bid was more than they had money to cover, so they reworked the "scope of work" cutting quite a few unconfirmed osprey nest sites.  While it is less money, it is less time and gas to cover the more likely nesting sites and my partner and I have agreed to sign!!!  I'm gonna get paid to hike the woods and watch birds, watch me go.

Next week we have our first talks with the power company about monitoring their windfarm for migrating cranes.  Keep us in your prayers for this one because this contract pushes us over into a profitable enterprise.  And a big THANKS TO EVERYONE for all the support and prayers.  I am once again reminded of how good people when they have the chance. 

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 12:31:15 am »
Great news on the 'partial' win. Getting paid to hike the hills sounds good. Get to carry your stick? You know, in case of snakes and such? >:D

Bevan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 01:00:47 am »
Binos, spotting scope, GPS, laptop computer, notebooks, reference books, laser rangefinder, lunch, 3 liters of water, climbing gear, safety gear, flashlights, emergency first aid gear, small folding chair/stool (for those all day stake-outs trying to glimpse an osprey chick peeking out from under mother)....

Dude, if I need a stick, I'm in the woods...I'll pick one up!  If I could get an all-terrain shopping cart I'd risk looking like a Daniel Boon inspired homeless man just to get my back some relief!!!

*shaking my head and muttering "I'll show you a stick."

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 01:02:52 am »
I was speaking of a 'bent' stick.  ::)
AT shopping cart. Not a bad idea. Don't they call those 'buck carriers'?

Bevan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 07:31:26 pm »
We just inked the contract for the osprey nest monitoring!  Sadly, the contract for the wind farm monitoring went to someone else.  We did get the idea to contact them and offer to subcontract with them so we'll be working on that next week. 

Meanwhile, we did an entire week of wildlife education with the non-profit Black Hills Raptor Center sweeping thru eastern North and South Dakota.  There were some nice photos that the Sioux Falls Argus Leader posted on their website if you are interested in birds of prey:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DF&Dato=20110224&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=102240802&Ref=PH