Author Topic: Ash stave  (Read 2145 times)

Offline SiongSA

Ash stave
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »
Hey guys,
Cut a Ash (white ash i think) sapling today, bout 2" one end 3" the other, full of knots, got a big natural curve but has i nice grain and no insect/weather damage so i decided to fell it. Obviously this piece needs to season first but i was wondering what design would be best for this wood and remember guys i cut a sapling because all i have is a pocket knife so i can't tiller a 8" log, any way any ideas what to do with this? also lots of paper mulberry around were i cut the ash, whats the design for this, flat bow or elb? (bare in mind i can only work with smaller diameter staves.

Sion,
South Africa

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Ash stave
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:53:05 pm »
A small stave makes for a high crowned back. If you stick with a basic flatbow/ flat bellied bow, you wont be disappointed! This combo makes for outstanding cast. Or you could make a shorter(just long enuff for your draw) bend thru the handle bow.Bend thru the handle shorty's are my favorite, and the high crowned(sapling) staves really shine here..IMO...Brian

p.s..... clamp or strap that small stave to something for awhile, they like to twist and take on massive reflex as they dry. It will save you straightening time later.. goodluck
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »
just a little food for thought

you say you only have a pocket knife.
thats the only tool you have to make a bow with?
if so then you might want to take it down to near bow demendiosn whiel green and then clamp it to a 4x4 untill dry
the drier the wood gets the harder it will be to reduce with just a pocket knife

like i said,just food for thought  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 04:25:56 pm »
just a little food for thought

you say you only have a pocket knife.
thats the only tool you have to make a bow with?
if so then you might want to take it down to near bow demendiosn whiel green and then clamp it to a 4x4 untill dry
the drier the wood gets the harder it will be to reduce with just a pocket knife

like i said,just food for thought  ;)
thanks, i'll start tomorrow then

youngbowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:41:15 pm »
don't forget to seal up the ends with glue

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
If you have a large kitchen knife you could use that as well to rough out the bow

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:05:53 pm »
Good luck, lets see some pictures !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 09:05:11 am »
   Go to lowes and get some pestide or you may end up with worm holes I spraty all of my staves exspeicaly white wood. Unless your going to cover the whole stave with something.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING