Author Topic: ipe instead of horn belly?  (Read 17174 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: ipe instead of horn belly?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 04:26:07 am »

dane!  -  yes i'm about to do a hornbow, soon as i get started, with siyahs but not a specific design. but i'm also looking forwar working with ipe; i purchased some a while ago.
in TBB3 is a bow pictured made by  a guy named dave kissinger. it's a short sinewd bow with light recurves and a hornbelly. that's another hybrid i find very interesting; i fact that's my favourit bow pictured in all 3 TBB's  :o

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 06:15:20 am »
Frank,

I just glanced at that bow. Very cool design, not what I want to do, but nice.

This suddenly reminds me of the burial mounds near where I was stationed, south of Augsburg. It was a huge defeat by the Magyars by German forces led by a Bishop Otto. The West Woods had hundreds of burial mounds, some many feet tall. I wonder how many ancient composite bows were directly under my feet when I went and visited the site? I never brought a shovel, as tempting as that was!

Lennie, my thoughts are to make the core and other layers around 3/16", but maybe a bit thicker would do. And I do want to avoid messing with the horn too much if possible, but light work would not hurt, as you pointed out.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:25:36 am by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 06:36:21 am »

This suddenly reminds me of the burial mounds near where I was stationed, south of Augsburg. It was a huge defeat by the Magyars by German forces led by a Bishop Otto. The West Woods had hundreds of burial mounds, some many feet tall. I wonder how many ancient composite bows were directly under my feet when I went and visited the site? I never brought a shovel, as tempting as that was!

yes, that does sound tempting! but glad you didn't  :)

hey evryone! - this more and more becomes hornbow-ish and in general, the hornbow keeps poppin' up here; shouldn't we start a hornbow thread or even a hornbow board?? something like ATARN for the poor people  8) ??
moderaters what you think??

did i mention i like this side for the plenty exchange??

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 11:07:21 am »
Frank, a horn bow board is an excellent idea! I second the motion.

I never went on an amateur archeological expedition because one, it is unethical, and two, the image of the Polizai showing up in those green and white cars was unnerving. However, if you want, I can give you detailed directions to the site, not far from Klosterlechfeld. :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 11:40:14 am »
I wish we wouldn't break up into small groups.  The Bows section isn't so active that things slide off the page all that fast.  And we havne't posted too many hornbows so I think simply carrying on a running thread or two is all we need to do.

I will say that ATARN is a pretty slow board, and not that many people are helpful to newbies especially if you aren't following an artifact in design and construction.  I've gotten a lot of info from that forum but it was mostly through reading old threads.  So I am glad to see some people here who are interested in making hornbows.  Now, get out there and actually make a hornbow so we can all learn more about it!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 01:08:45 pm »
Dave, I too think using ipe for the belly is a very good idea.  Ipe is great for this kind of experimentation.  I have a little tri-lam which loads up the ipe belly similar to what a horn bow would and it has stayed together despite my efforts to blow it apart..

I hope we keep this site from becoming too segmented, and keep these bows in this section..

Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 01:16:52 pm »
Rich, I agree with you, I don't like how they seperated the other bows into different forums. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 01:18:48 pm »
I am watching close to see how this bow idea turns out.  I am just starting my first horn bow.
Like Lennie said, the best thing about this site is that we can all share info.  I don't think any of us have the resources to produce all horn bows, but many of us want to. By leaving it right on the bow forum it allows guys to share with others who have desire but no experience.  You can also learn so much from guys building sinew backed bows or shorties.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dane

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 01:20:04 pm »
On second thought, I do agree with you guys, keeping these kinds of bows in the regular bow section. Then everyone will pretty much be able to particpate.

Depending on how my next few weeks go, I'm going to take a deep breath and get going on my Asiatic / Roman bow, and torture everyone with a build-along / disaster-along :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 01:22:06 pm »
Looking forward to it Dane, maybe torture for you but not us.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 07:02:25 am »

yes dane, go ahead... we're all waiting!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline snedeker

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 12:13:15 pm »
Theres a pretty cool bow on the Krackow bows site depicted as a north chinese type, wood core, horn belly, bamboo back, working recurve  60" that would also be a good and maybe better candidate.  I copied the pic will see if it comes up

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]