Author Topic: Draw weights?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline SiongSA

Draw weights?
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:31:59 pm »
Hey guys,
seriously new to archery and i need some advice. i'm hopefully gunna get myself a hickory 68" elb, which come in a variety of draw weights namely: 30, 45,50 and 60lb draws. i'm 15 so i was wondering what would be a good weight for me, not to stiff not too easy and also a draw weight that won't feel like a toy when i'm an adult/or acquired archery muscles

this is what i'm looking to buy:http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/31523735/Imported_handcrafted_wooden_Hickory_68_English_longbow_from_experienced_bowyer.html

Cheers, Sion

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Draw weights?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »
If you are relatively strong for your age you should be able to handle a 45# bow. The good thing about traditional bows is the draw is unlimited(to an extent). If you can't pull 45# to 26" or 28" draw it as far as you comfortably can and as your archery muscles build up your draw length will increase.
  Instead of buying a wood bow, why not build one. You should be able to find materials readily available and relatively cheap. Here on PA you have some of the best wood bow builders around and all are willing to help you build a bow for yourself. By making it yourself you can build it to your draw length and draw weight. When you outgrow that you can build another to match your needs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »
Siong,
       There are about a zillion ways to look at achery and draw weights. But other than looking at the draw weight per-sey please also consider that you will need to concentrate on shooting form, developing a clean string release and other things in the course of "learning" your first bow, especially an ELB.
       Judging by your sign-off I'm guessing you are in or around the UK, and unless you travel to other places I believe your hunting opportunities will be limited so "hunting weight" should not be your driving consideration. Having said all that, my opinion (and thats only from one old man) for something managable, and not detrimental to form, would be either 45# or if your more developed perhaps the 50#. There have been several champion archers, shooting ELB's in the 30/40# range however. I believe that 60# is too heavy for you to "learn" on.
      I'm sure there are fellas on the site with a lot more ELB experience than myself.....so maybe take the concensus of all the opinions.
rich

Offline SiongSA

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:35 pm »
in fact i live in south africa, moved from UK 2yrs ago. I've had many bow-building attempts but with nothing but a knife and sandpaper and know one to guide me i've inevitably failed. my plan was to get comfortable on a good,reliable bow; to get the feel of archery before a dive into bowyering. I'm not very strong for my age and have no archery muscles so i think i'll go for a 30lb der to start.

Sion

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:08 pm »
With a 30# bow you should really be able to work on your form and release as Rich suggested.   When you are ready to start building a bow, you know where we are.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »
 Over on Paleoplanet there's a bowyer in South Africa by the handle of Johnnylongbow . Do a search and click on his profile, that will get you his email. He may be able to help out. Has some really cool bows he has made for the movies.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3