Author Topic: Games  (Read 2196 times)

Grunt

Games
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »
Here are some NA games I put together for some folks I hang with. The first one is woskate hutanacute,it means "sliding stick on ice" The one below is woskate hewahukezala or "horned Javelin. Both are games of skill at throwing sticks or darts at targets. The kids can range in age from 4 to 14. The games are a good way of getting the kids physically involved and out of the influence of the TV and computer. Unlike bows and arrows that need constant supervision these games can be run by the kids themselves. The plains people have played these games for century's. No wonder they didn't have any cats.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Games
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:08:53 am »
two of my favorites. we have a version of the ice game we play . its called snow snake. very similar to the ice game
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

Re: Games
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:46:19 am »

Dang Jamie, you took the words right out of my keyboard!  I have an old book, that I stole, I mean, forgot to take back to the Jr. High school library, and it has the snow snake, and one similar to the one grunt has, and it was a small hoop, with a weave like a dream catcher, and it was rolled on the ground, and the participants had pronged spears for lack of a better description, and they would try to hit the hoop, as it rolled past them, or down the hill.  Something similar but in the air, and with bows also.

Wayne