Author Topic: Ipe and bamboo or what?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Ipe and bamboo or what?
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:07:52 pm »
OK I have a 6' piece of Ipe that is 9" wide x 3/4" thick.  I also have some that is 1" thick x 2 3/8" wide and about 11' long.  I have a piece of bamboo that is flattened down it is about 1 1/4" wide and 67 1/2" long.  I would like to make a bend through handle bow.  C bow I guess.  I figured on ripping the wide bow into strips.  The long piece may be able to rip in half to 1/2" or less taking away kerf of blade.  My question what is the best width and size to do one of these.  I may get some hickory or other backing for some of the other strips.  Any help or suggestions out there.  I researched on here some but looking for more help.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Ipe and bamboo or what?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »
if you rip the 3/4 or 1 inch board in half there will be plenty of belly wood for a bow . usually 1 1/4 at widest with hickory ipe or bamboo and ipe. most of my mid weight bows 45 to 55 end up with 1/8th hickory and 1/4 ipe when its done. it doesnt take much wood to make a bow with ipe and a tension strong backing. hope this helps

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:27:04 pm »
Yeah I was told I didn't need much Ipe to make heavy weight......With the bamboo, it has not been heat treated (not sure how to do that) and what about removal of the rind.  Do you taper from 1 1/4" to the tip or what?  Pyramid style or flatbow style?
Happy hunting to all!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:34 pm »
someone else will have to help with the bamboo, as far as the taper i straight taper to tips say 1 /2 or 3/8th wide ,semi pyrmaid

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:44:51 pm »
3/8 thick ipe pyramid profile to 1/2 or 3/8 with boo backer  1 1/4 wide will give you enough weight to kill mack trucks.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:05 pm »
bettle  i never use moren a 1/2 in thick piece ipe  with boo  even with hickory  ipe makes a very slender bow  iv went as narrow as 1/4 at tips    one thing ill tell ya is wear gloves when workin  it  and if ya sand it on ur sander and while ripping it wear a respiator this craps bad for  ya and a bear to scrape  but  makes wonderful bows   just a bear working with  it   also  you can  glue ur backin with tb 3  thats all i ever  use  rich scaffold  taught me that and rich knows  ipe  brock

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:50:44 pm »
Glue up  a 1/2 inch thick ipe with a boo backer and you probably wont be able to bend it much. And I have never had a problem scraping the belly. A cabinet scraper is all I use . Just an opinion .Good luck.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Gaur

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 10:47:47 am »
You don't want to heat treat bamboo for a backing.  For bows with bamboo on the back and belly people heat treat the belly boo.  Make sure the bamboo is thin, normally 1/8 ".  Seems crazy the first time you do it but if you leave it too thick you won't hardly have any ipe on the belly when you get it close to tillered.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline macbow

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »
I'd suggest shaping the Ipe to your tapered profile then use that to mark the bamboo. cut the bamboo then thin it to 1/16 or less on the edges flat across the bamboo.

As for heat treating like above that is usually only done if used on the belly.
Bamboo holds moisture easily. I like to put it in a heat  or drying box to reduce the moisture before glueing.

As for the rind, I leave it alone till I'm ready to finish with stain or something. Then I scrape the rind off sanding lightly and leave the nodes a little proud.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »
I thank you all for the replies.  You all have helped me a lot.  Now to see how it will turn out. :)
Happy hunting to all!